Switching to the dark side (apple). Need your advice.

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi guys,

I'm gonna live most of the time abroad and constantly sleeping at hotels. So I'm now in need of a good laptop, and since it's really well adapted for that (Apple Care, and 7h of official battery time that actually last 6 or 7hours) and convenient, and also cause it's the good moment, I'm gonna try the Apple route.

SO I'm searching for the right Macbook Pro for me.

the-new-apple-macbook-pro-cons.jpg

My budget is irrelevant (in a 1000-1800 range), it's also gonna be recorded as a professionnal expense anyway cause I have created an Irish ltd company, and have now a VAT number. So I can consider I'm buying the tax-free value.

So as I'm gonna need a high mobility system, I'm not gonna go the 17in route, it would be still too expensive though and a useless power.

So I have all options between 13 and 15 inches, 2010 or 2011 versions.

I think all 2011 versions are powerful (CPU) enough, even the i7 dualcore 13in that seems almost as powerful as my (old) 3.0i7 quadcore on my PC...

I'm a bit afraid about the 2010 versions, though the most powerful 15in seem ok and equals the new 13in. Here are the charts :

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/02/macbookpro-benchmarks-early-2011/
(considering my tower PC does 7500 and I have plenty of headroom in my mixes CPU consumption, with the added info it has a 1Gb GPU which does not impact the geekbench value, so in reality there is a greater difference to consider between the new 13in and 15in because of the fact the 15in have a dedicated card)

So basically I'm feeling I'm stuck between :

- 2010 15in boosted (I mean, with the option of a faster CPU)
- 2011 13in boosted
- 2011 15in

The 13in is an awesome option for mobility, it's little and powerful. Though, I feel being stuck with 1280x800 can be horrid in the long term, though I'm contemplating the possibility to have a big screen at home and travel with the laptop only to have best from both worlds. But it has no GPU so i'm a little afraid for my photo editing, though it seems it equals the previous GPU (almost) in the 2011 version so I maybe shouldn't worry at all.

The 15in is better cause it has a dedicated GPU that seems decent, is a quadcore, and I can have the option of a 1620px screen, but is much more expensive though and not as tiny as a 13in so it's a difficult choice.

a used 2010 15 in seems a very valid option, cause for a lesser price, it's still powerful enough I guess, though dualcore, has a decent GPU card, and I can find one with a high reso screen of 1620px. I just need to be patient until I find one.

For info, I found a 15in with HD screen and apple care until august 2012 for around 1100 euros.... (15' core I7 2,66 Ghz, 2010, like new, Apple Care -> august 2012,4go RAM, 500Go, with the invoice, + MAC OS X snow leopard + iphoto 11.)

13 in i7@2x2.7ghz = 1450€ (1211€ taxfree)
15 in i7@4x2.0ghz = 1750€ + maybe HD option (1460€ taxfree)
15 in i7@2x2.6ghz = something like 1000 to 1200

You can compare the new specs here : http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-compare.html

So for those of you who know well Apple, what would be the best choice ? Is the 2010 version still relevant ? I'm guessing it is, cause until the 2011 arrived it was the current weapon of choice, but I prefer to ask in case it suffered anything for medium to heavy sessions with VSTis and heavy CPU consumming vsts.

Also what would you consider relevant to buy with it ? Is apple care mandatory ? It's an added cost if I buy it new. Considering I'll be travelling a lot, maybe it's better. What about the apple products that are good to have, and those who are just a money trap ?

On an audio perspective, I'm considering an Apogee Duet 1 : http://weallmakemusic.com/files/2010/03/duetdetail.jpg
travelling with my headset and why not a microphone etc when I need it.
Since the 2nd version has been released, its easy to find one used now that all the fanboys are buying the new one. Good choice ?

Also, what is the best way to run in parallel/virtualize windows 7 nowadays in macos ?

Pretty long for nothing but I needed to be clear so that you can give me the right advice !

Get the 2011 15" macbook pro quad core. You will not regret it. You might also want to upgrade your harddisk to 7200rpm if you record on it. The 13" macbook pro quad is also great and will do fine for photo editing, the gpu is no issue at all, however just as you said the resolution is quite low.

For traveling there are some great backpacks like these two:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1453ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTc5NzIzMzQ&s=topSellers
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0764LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjAzOTk1Njg&s=topSellers

Also I like to use this here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H..._Slim_Sleeve?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjI2NjkyNjg

As for windows you can use bootcamp which is included with osx to install windows on a seperate partition and choose which operating system you want to choose when holding alt during startup. Windows runs perfectly on mac, even better than on all the expensive dell systems I had.

Hope this helps.

Why has it only posted half my msg ?

I was writing that I can claim my vat later but I would still have to pay almost 2000.

Also i didn't know you can install windows natively on a Mac. That's just perfect!

I have an old (heavier) 15 inch and I've been taking it everywhere in my back pack for 3 years now without feeling it, the added screen real estate justifies the negligible extra weight.

Whatever model you get, get one with the cheapest stock hard drive and memory available and upgrade these yourself, I put it a 500GB 7200rpm hard drive and 4GB of RAM for under £150 with no experience!

Oh yeah so a good bet would be just getting the hd screen and update later each of :
- ram
- hd
- apple care before the end of the first year

So that I can still buy it for it's price new, get back VAT later, and spend the options money later when I have the cash for it ?

Just so I know : I think I remember apple allows changing ram oneself as part of the apple care conditions, but what about the hdd ? Anyway I imagine you can do it easily and clean but Im curious.

I've just seen an all-options 15in (750GB at 7200, hd screen, 2.3 ghz with 1gb videocard, 8Gb ram, etc) for 2000. But as it's not new I couldn't get any VAT so I guess it's not worth it for me.

I have a first gen 15" and a unibody C2D 2.8 17".
The 17" isn't that much bigger but the screen real estate is massive.
Not only is it a bigger screen but it has higher res too.
I would strongly recommend getting a 17".
Another important thing is only the 17" has an expresscard slot so you can add an extra firewire bus.
Once you get used to carrying the 17" around you will be glad you got it.
Jigsaw in the UK are great for "previous model" stock. I buy all my macs from them.
I wait for Apple to update and buy the previous model at massive discount.
http://www.jigsaw24.com/products/co...ks/apple-macbook-pro?SortOrder=PR;ASC&319=17"

Hum I know the 1920 screen is tremendous but I will have to carry it all the time, while having my travel pilot-case with clothes and uniforms. I don't already know if the company's official pilotcase is mandatory or if I can use the one I want.

Also in the end it's comfort, the 15' hd screen is already nice... I'll check the site though !

@Brett : if by stubborn you mean "controlling his precise budget" then I'm very stubborn :) (dsl de pas avoir donné trop de news après le sushi jsuis un peu booké ces derniers temps :) )

Hum so now i dont know what is the best idea : 2010 17in dualcore or 2011 15in quadcore. I don't think buying a 2011 17in would be a good idea, in long term it may be, but I have to live short term with my money too. Damn.

I think the 2011 15" will be perfect for your needs. I would definitely prefer an 15" 2011 over a 17" 2010 model.

I would love a 1920 screen but yeah its maybe a good idea to have a quadcore since it has made a leap forward better performances, like 2 times faster.

Here's a comparison. I have a glossy screen as well and never had any problems with it. Notice how the colors appear less vivid on the antiglare screen.

macbookpro-glossy-vs-matte.jpg

Wow. What a stupid waste of money !

Thanks so it will certainly be a new 2011 15in basic version (2.0ghz+256mb card) all stock except hi-res screen, certainly with a dualboot with w7 for flight simulator and windows only vst or apps.