Symbols

Pyaemia

In Thor we trust
Mar 21, 2003
Quebec,Canada
Hey would any of you guys know a good site where they show various symbols of norse gods? Like Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) and the Suncross (Wich represent Odin!?!? i think...). Or maybe the gods didnt have any symbols? Hehehe, any info would be appreciated. I searched the net but i cant seem to find jackshit about it. I even search for a pic of the suncross and ended up finding amon amarth lyrics LOL.... I particulary interested in Tyr's symbol if he as one and i dont mean the T rune either. Thanks!

i figure this would be the place to post this.
one of my friends read my palm today and described me, my personality, and what type of past i had. she had mentioned at one point how there is something thats shaped like a "P" on my hand and has a connection that means thor is looking after me or something... anyone know what the hell that is about???? (i was never a believer of truth behind palm reading til today, quite astonishing :Spin: )

M. said:
hm... the info on that site seems a bit odd, not that i'm an expert on norse-mythology/beliefs, but the thurs-rune did not as far as i know represent Thor; "thurs" means giant or troll, and that's what i think it repesents, thus quite contrary to the good god Tyr, good in the way the he opposed the enemies of men and gods. the othal-rune represened one's own plot of land and the home, not odin...
but on the other hand it's not certain the runes represented anything at all , the words associated with them could simply be a way to facilitate the memorization (is that a word? :)) of the runes pronunciation.

and they also seem to have mixed up runes from different time-periods; the m-runes on that page is a pre-vikingage rune while the s-rune is viking age. i my modest oppinion, that page is not a good source.

i looked Tyr up in a book i've got where it says that his attribute is the sword, so one can might say the his sign would be the sword.

spaffe knows what he's talking about a million times more than i do, just in case somebody didnt know that yet.

pyaemia, thats my everyday face :). if it happens to be viking as well, then, uh, cool. \m/

I made alot of search about norse mythology and on the net sometimes u cant seem to find what you want... but in any case what did come out often (Doesnt necessarly mean its the truth) is that Thurs is Thor and that Tues is Tyr.... wich is where the day of the week came from

Tuesday = Tyr's day
Wednesday = Odin's day (the reason why it Odin and Wednes does seem similar is that in the enlgish 'lexicon?" not sure of thats the fight word, they called him Woten or Wotan...)
Thursday = Thor's day
Friday = Frigg's day (Odin's wife)
i dont know Monday,Saturday and Sunday YET... hehehe

I read alot about other stuff too and i find it VERY interesting!I also learn that ALLLLLLLLOOOTTTTT of what we know now as Fantasy comes from Tolkien right? But Tolkien took ALLLLLLLLLOT from Norse myths!!! notice the caps on alot? hehe...

Other things too like i suspect that the well known werewolf started from the Berserker since they believe berserker went into a battlefrenzy in combat and transformed info wolf and bear wich rendered them immune to metal and fire!

To any of you who ever played Dungeons and Dragon and if you know the Forgotten realm there is a god named Torm and Tyr.. they are actually copied from the norse one.... If my memory serves me correct (odly enuff) it was Torm that lost is hand to the Fenrir and not Tyr (its Tyr in norse myth) but like Tyr (norse) and Tyr (D&D) they are both god of justice. (depending on where i looked Tyr(norse) was sometimes the god of justice..sometimes of war.... sometimes of Altheltics... err...anyways)

As far as Tolkien goes... in norse myth..
Midgard is where the humans lives wich is translated as Middle earth (i guess it as something to do with NIfelheim (Hell) and Vahalla(Heaven) so MIDDLE earth.. you know.......).The names like Isengard wich is either Isen earth..... From Isen or Earth of isen ( you know you cant really translate language directly). The people of Rohan from tolkien is at least 80% including the buildings (in the film) and armors!Amongs other thing....

One last thing... just a "irrevelant" story of mine...
Few years ago i was playing Final Fantasy 3 and in this game you can acquire a Sword called Ragnarok... wich didnt tell me jackshit about it at this time.... then a few years later i start playing Dark Age of Camelot and in this game you can use a "move" called Ragnarok when using a sword wich (since i was playing a viking) raised the question,what is ragnarok? Is it a powerfull sword? I found out it was the "norse apocalypse"! I search about it and read it on the net,interessing read!And errr... thats it :D Maybe some of you already know all this but thats all new to me and im curious about those thing!

(Sorry for the 10 000 000 typo im not english)

the thurs rune does not represent thor, if it represents anything it's the powers of chaos (giants, trolls since the word thurs means giant or troll) which he wages an never-ending war against.

I know the net is not reliable,its like the TV! Reminds me also that,if you look at Thor's Hammer on the net you almost only find racist symbols,etc... wich leads to believe its really for the racist,that is ridiculous... what id like to know is where you took the info about the Thurs rune,a book perhaps? If so please tell me wich one,i might be interesting in reading it. Thanks

well one place i've read it is in a swedish book called "runor" written by a guy called Enoksen, i haven't read any english books on the subject so i'm afraid i can't help very much.

Over Broen said:
some people say that sunday is supposed to be sunna's day hmm.

not in sweden at least, sauna day here would be "lördag" (saturday) whicj is short for "lögaredagen" (i think that's how it's spelled) meaning "day of bath" or similar.

I think it was Sol (a.k.a. Sunna) who was intended here and not sauna, spaffe :)
In that case, Sunday would mean something like "the Sun's Day" which is what I've always been told (and it sounds kinda feasible too).