To the Norges

manuelgv

Back now...hopefully
Mar 19, 2002
Mexico city
Hey there norsemen and norsewomen!
Well I might be going to your country this year and I wanted to know if you had any recommendations of places to go and visit.I still have to check out which cities I wanna visit,but I will most likely go from Stockholm to Oslo or something like that.
Here are a few questions:
Do you know if hostels are cheap?
How many crowns can I get for an euro?
Is norway as expensive as sweden and finland or more?
Any cool museums which include viking stuff there?
Any shops that sell norse stuff?(cause I didn't get my thor's hammer online :mad: )

And any other thing you can think of,like the weather in July and all that would be greatly appreciated.Also concerts hehe

I'm just gonna write some stuff quickly from the top of my head since I can't be bothered to do further research right now..

You can stop in Halden on your way to see an even cooler and more
charistmatic fortress than in Oslo.. Yes. it is expensive here, you should
go to the north instead of just seing the cities, but I guess that would
cause financial problems? Yes, you should find some satanic norse stuff in
Oslo at least. (Wolf's Lair it's called.. or something.. Line?). In Oslo you
could also go to the National Gallery - it's free. Lot's of paintings,
Norwegian nature and all that stuff. Weather is usually ok in the sommer, but there's no guarantee :D

Ok - bring Thanatos and stop in Halden, 'cause I wanna kick him in the nuts! (And he'll love it) :D

All hail!
HALDEN.jpg

manuelgv said:
Hey there norsemen and norsewomen!

Norse = nordic, ancient nordic
Norsemen = vikings, men from the north
Norsewomen = viking women

Norwegian = person from Norway :)

This is why everyone thinks all vikings hailed from Norway :)

Have a great time by the way, Norway is a beautiful country.
Especially the northernmost parts!

actually the coolest vikings were on iceland
but they left Norway to go to Iceland
hehe

thanx for the info
so I get 9 k for one euro
what can I buy with 9k? like a piece of gum or something?

A cheap but not fancy place to stay in Oslo is Haraldheim.
I'd suggest seing the historical museum, specially their collection of viking- and medieval jewelry. They also sell replicas in the store there. Many of the main jewelry stores carry a kind of jewelry called "Saga smykker" - replicas of old stuff. Wolf's Lair at Youngstorget sells clothes and jewelry and such, so does Body Map.
Then there is the Vikingship museum, the old ruins in the Middelalderparken, the old monastery at Hovedøya (really pleasant place during summer), the ruins of the Maria church in Maridalen, Akershus fortress was already mentioned. There are quite a few galleries if you are into that sort of things.

Thanx Meaculpa
I'll have to get my lonely planet guide to check those places out and the currency thing
cause I have no clue what can you buy with one K and all that
do you recommend having euros or dollars?

If you're looking for great nature go to the north of Norway! :eek:)
Anyways, in Oslo you should check out Sound Of Noise for cd's
and Wolf's Lair for some good Thor's Hammers and other metal
stuff :eek:) Rock In and Elm Street are pubs you want to check out.
Dunno of any good gigs in Oslo this summer... But if I hear of
anything I'll let you know :eek:)

Immortal and Green Carnation will play at the Quart-festival this
summer though, if you feel like going to the south :eek:)

I don't do museums and stuff like that... :eek:P

I have 3 years to wait
grumble.gif

better than 5. I get to also go there cause my grandmother wants to get records of her grandpa's dad who is supposedly illigitamate child of Danish King... and she thought she was only Norsk her whole life. She can only date Christian 9 but we'll go there to see. Either way all this information is cool to know ahead of time. I can only take a max of 3 weeks off which sucks for me.

My grgranparents loved Hammerfest so much they stayed there for a while and returned when I was 10, anyone been there?? Is it cool?

Cool to see someone else from my hometown! I live in Kristiansand now, where the already mentioned Quart festival will be held in the beginning of July.

I'll throw in another picture of the fortress in Halden:

S02B001.jpg

It's so nice!

Anyway, I hope you'll have a blast when you visit our country.

But beware, it's expensive here.

The nature around Hammerfest is pretty, but the city itself is pretty dull. Lots of German tourists, fish and reindeer. It's a long and expensive trip up there too.
I'd rather suggest Lofoten or the Tromsø area.
Southern Norway is great during summer too - I miss living in Kristiansand.
One major drawback about traveling in Norway is that it is so damn expensive :( Specially if going to Northern Norway by plane.

Anthrax plays June 6, Sepultura June 11, Type O Negative June 24, Iron Maiden July 2 and 3, Nightwish July 4 and 5, then there is the Øyafestivalen August 6