Traveling trought Scandinavia [OFF]

I haven't been to Norway yet, but I stayed in Stockholm for a month a few years back. If there's anything specific you would like to know, I'd be happy to help.

I haven't been to Norway yet, but I stayed in Stockholm for a month a few years back. If there's anything specific you would like to know, I'd be happy to help.
For sure!:) well i want to know how is stockholm in january/february, if even in winter i can get sunny days to make some little trips, the price of food or train and if there any metal shop or a cool souvenir shop.
thanks fot the help man:kickass:

Sigurðr;8979583 said:
Well, i'm wondering to spent my time in the cities and not semi-naked in the top of a moutain in Hammerfest.

I was referring to DEFIANCE's comment about wanting to live in winter settings. It's not as mentally and physically easy as some may think, but the scandanavian's have adapted to these cold climates. Tough people in scandanavia.

Sigurðr;8979583 said:
Well, i'm wondering to spent my time in the cities and not semi-naked in the top of a moutain in Hammerfest.

I was referring to DEFIANCE,s comment about wanting to live in winter settings. It's not as mentally and physically easy as some may think, but the scandanavian's have adapted to these cold climates. Tough people in scandanavia.

oh yes, sorry about that. But you see, hot is also shit, here is terrible, you walk in downtown for 15 minutes and the sun makes your head explode, you know what is walk with 44C? with termic sensation of 55C with NO wind, no one D: its too horrible D:.
yeah you are right, i read a phrase in some norway city site and it tells: We have an expression in Norway that says there isn't anything called bad weather, just as long as you have the right clothing!
:lol:

Sigurðr;8980122 said:
For sure!:) well i want to know how is stockholm in january/february, if even in winter i can get sunny days to make some little trips,

Scandinavia is like any other place, we rely on the weather man to tell us what the weather will be. You might get sun, rain or snow, it might be -40*C and it might be 5*C

Edit: And you can't be on top of a fjord, you might end up on the bottom of one though, if you decide to drown.

Well I was there in springtime, but in January/February I'm sure you can assume the weather would be about what it is like in the Northern US. Around 30F with snow and maybe some shitty rain days too. Keep in mind that Stockholm is really high in latitude, so while you won't get total darkness during the day or anything, it will still get dark a lot earlier than you're probably used to, as well as the sun coming up later.

Food in Sweden is quite a bit more expensive than you're probably used to (I'm not sure where you are from). If you guys buy your groceries in a store and cook it yourselves at hostels, you will save a lot of money; if not, you can count on spending 10USD on a hamburger and going broke in three days ;)

As for metal-related stuff... There are a couple of really awesome record shops I went to. One is called "Sound Pollution", on Gamla Stan (the island with all the really old buildings on it) on the street Stora Nygatan. I forget the address though. It was pretty cool, lots of vinyl we're not used to seeing in the states, and of course a nice selection of CDs, many of them with rare/alternate artwork that is kind of hard to find over here. The other is called "Repulsive Records" and it is kind of northeast of the city center, I believe in the Norrmalm district; I want to say the street was something like "St Eiriksgatan" but I can't really remember. Anyway, it's worth the T-bana ride up there to check it out. Nice selection, and the guy that runs it is really nice; if you want you can ask him to "preview" any CD (since the actual disc is kept beneath the counter), and he gets pretty pumped when you tell him exactly how far away you came from to go to his shop. Price-wise, both places are probably more than you're used to spending on CDs, but honestly not much more than you'd pay at say your average mall in the states. There are also your sort of regular run of the mill record/CD shops spread through the city as well, which are sometimes worth popping into if you see them, but not necessarily "planning" to visit, if you know what I mean. I stopped in one along the main pedestrian shopping street on a whim and got some nice Scandinavia classical music collection for like $2, as well as the single Blind Guardian had out at the time, and a few other more "popular" kind of CDs (I think like, Faith No More, Led Zeppelin) for a couple of dollars each.

There are a couple of places you can see shows while you're there too. Nothing much was going on when I was there (Dissection played their last show like 2 days after I left :( ) but you can ask around, maybe check with the guys at the aforementioned metal shops. I know there is a small little venue in the Slussen area (between Gamla Stan and Södermalm) but I can't for the life of me find out anything about it on the internets. It was there though, I definitely saw it ;)

For souvenirs, well honestly every city in Europe is totally full of souvenir shops, so it kind of depends onwhat you're looking to get, if I'm honest. Stockholm probably has hundreds of those sort of "run of the mill" shops run by Pakistanis selling a bunch of stuff with the Swedish flag on it made in China. Sometimes though you can find some legit things; for instance most places you'll see the quintessential dalahäst figurines, which are little painted horses. If I remember correctly, most of these are made locally (look for the sticker underneath...though I suppose they could just be *buying* the stickers to put on cheap mass produced ones...well whatever :D ). But also keep in mind there are tons of off the wall antique shops and such in Stockholm, so there's something for everyone, really.

As for other things to do...well the #1 sight is just the city itself. Stockholm is a beautiful place. Everything had just begun blooming when I was there so it was extra great, but I'm sure it would look nice in the winter too. The architecture is really nice and gives you that "old world feeling" if you know what I mean. But other than that, there are some world-class museums and stuff that you really should visit when you're there. The best one is called "Skansen", which is kind of "Sweden in miniature"; they took traditional buildings from all over the country (some like 1000 years old) and brought them to this place in Stockholm. They also have native Swedish animals like moose, wolves, bears, elk, etc. You could even buy your souvenirs here as there is glassblowing and handicrafts all over the place. Only thing is I'm not sure what their hours would be like in the winter, but it's worth checking out. Another cool place is the "Vasamuseet" which is a museum entirely based around this renaissance era war galleon that sank in the harbour on its maiden voyage a few hundred years back. It is wonderfully preserved and you can go in and walk all around it and stuff; pretty awesome if you're into that kind of thing. Other than that, there are probably hundreds of other museums in Stockholm for every possible interest area. There is a "Ship History Museum" with hundreds of little models of Swedish ships through the ages, an Army museum, a Music museum, etc etc etc... lots of these places are either free or almost free if you buy a "Stockholm Card" (this also covers your transportation as well, if I remember correctly).

For accommodation, you probably know this already, but hostels are the way to go. The two that I spent the most time at were called "City Backpackers" and "City Lodge", both kind of in the same direction north of the train station. One was really cool, and the other was just kind of average (neither bad), but I'm having trouble remembering which was which (it's been about 4 years). I *think* it was the former that was awesome, but I could be wrong! Either way, there are a ton of hostels in Stockholm, and you'll have no trouble finding a place to sleep, especially in the winter.

Anyway I guess that's enough to get you going. You can also check http://wikitravel.org/en/Stockholm to see if there's anything I missed. I'd recommend visiting the city's website, and maybe looking at GoogleEarth a little just to get an idea of where some things are and whatnot. Enjoy your trip :kickass:

wow! dude you help me a LOT :D thanks! I'll want to see theses cities in winter, i never saw snow D: Curitiba in winter have some cold temperatures like -5C but never snow here D:< , my major preoccupation is about some prices too, but we gonna leave a lots of Cup Noodles and this kind of 'food':lol: and sure we gonna to a hostel, hotels are too expensive, in winter i think the prices go down, i am right?
And about the metal shops, i just want t-shirts, vintersorg/borknagar/manegarm/empyrium, or some viking design shirt with miollnir or a sweden flag:kickass: well i truly hope sunny days even in winter, its look so beautiful... why you lived in Stockholm? and you know something about goteborg?

I never went to Göteborg, so I can't help you there. I have gone to Copenhagen/København a few times though so if you plan to head down there, I might be able to help.

Shirts- both the metal shops I went to had shirts, but honestly--and I don't know what it is--for some reason the shirts you can get in metalshops in Europe often look not so good to me, like they were made really cheaply or something, copies of copies. I could be wrong though.The bigger problem for me was that it seemed they only sell them in size XL. I know Scandinavians are huge people, but still :D But if you are interested in all the viking stuff, there was a store called "Handfast" I think on Gamla Stan that sells lots of viking shirts and weapons and stuff :D

I never went to Göteborg, so I can't help you there. I have gone to Copenhagen/København a few times though so if you plan to head down there, I might be able to help.

Shirts- both the metal shops I went to had shirts, but honestly--and I don't know what it is--for some reason the shirts you can get in metalshops in Europe often look not so good to me, like they were made really cheaply or something, copies of copies. I could be wrong though.The bigger problem for me was that it seemed they only sell them in size XL. I know Scandinavians are huge people, but still :D But if you are interested in all the viking stuff, there was a store called "Handfast" I think on Gamla Stan that sells lots of viking shirts and weapons and stuff :D

yeah! its not 100% sure but we have plans to copenhagen :)if you want to tell me about it i appreciate, and in this viking store, they have shirts/pendants, some of this souvenirs? hmmm,København? never heard about, its nice? well here we even have this shirts D: all i have from this kind of bands is a Vintersorg shirt but only the logo :cry: a want a borknagar shirt too, and empyrium and opeth and vomitory and...:heh: eeuhueh
About Copenhagen, i was wandering about a train trip Copenhaguen-Stockholm, its worth?
thanks again dude

I'd love to visit Scandinavia someday. And while I'd like to see the big cities, I also want to see places like Kautokeino and Jokkmokk, so I can learn more about the Indigenous populations of these countries.

Man, this neseblod and noise polution metal stores are driving me crazy! especially the neseblod, norwegian native art-Einherjer, Borknagar, Vintersorg-oficial, man its insane!:kickass::kickass::kickass: and the special box set of universal only 40 eur? man i NEED to buy this:worship: f*** my money, i'll spent it in shirts and cds :heh:
well how i live in brazil i have some Krisiun oficial shirts, and i think this is something rare in Scandinavia, maybe i'll negociate with the guys on neseblod / noise pollution :D

Sigurðr;8980370 said:
yeah! its not 100% sure but we have plans to copenhagen :)if you want to tell me about it i appreciate, and in this viking store, they have shirts/pendants, some of this souvenirs? hmmm,København? never heard about, its nice? well here we even have this shirts D: all i have from this kind of bands is a Vintersorg shirt but only the logo :cry: a want a borknagar shirt too, and empyrium and opeth and vomitory and...:heh: eeuhueh
About Copenhagen, i was wandering about a train trip Copenhaguen-Stockholm, its worth?
thanks again dude

Copenhagen and København are the same place. I just put them both since one is what it is in English and the other is in Danish.

You can take a train from Stockholm to there, I forget how much it costs but it's not too expensive. It takes a while though, so you would have to leave in the morning and get there in early afternoon. Nearby to Copenhagen is the Viking Ship museum in Roskilde which you might be interested in. It is really fast to get there from Copenhagen so you might as well do that. Copenhagen isn't as awesome as Stockholm, but it is still nice to walk around since it is a nice old city. The National museum there is amazing too (and free) and has lots of Viking stuff.

Copenhagen and København are the same place. I just put them both since one is what it is in English and the other is in Danish.

You can take a train from Stockholm to there, I forget how much it costs but it's not too expensive. It takes a while though, so you would have to leave in the morning and get there in early afternoon. Nearby to Copenhagen is the Viking Ship museum in Roskilde which you might be interested in. It is really fast to get there from Copenhagen so you might as well do that. Copenhagen isn't as awesome as Stockholm, but it is still nice to walk around since it is a nice old city. The National museum there is amazing too (and free) and has lots of Viking stuff.

For sure, i love viking culture, i have a lot of books and things about it :D and if the price of the ticket is acceptable its sure i'll go, im thinking to buy theses tickets in the middle of the week, i think its cheaper:) the train to copenhagen/stockholm isnt too long if i saw certainly, something about 2.5/3 hours isnt? Sweden have some fjord? or just in Norway?:loco:

Sweden has mountains, but it doesn't have fjords that I know of (maybe a few near Norway?) I'd just go to Norway for that.

And actually the trip is like 5 hours (I just checked) from Stockholm to Copenhagen.

Sweden has mountains, but it doesn't have fjords that I know of (maybe a few near Norway?) I'd just go to Norway for that.

And actually the trip is like 5 hours (I just checked) from Stockholm to Copenhagen.

5 hours? hmmm its possible :D i think the travel is just wonderful:p well i'll follow your advices, in stockholm you help me a lot , thks!:kickass: ah last doubt, i saw something about discounts for students with internacional student documents and this stuff, you know about how good is those discounts?
And where the Finnish people? i need some Finland tips:mad:

If you are a student, you can go to the office and apply for an International Student Identification Card. They cost about 20 dollars and pay for themselves every time. Maybe not with transit, but definitely with museums. Every time you go somewhere you will see there is a price for adults, and a price for students. Sometimes the difference in price is quite significant. If you're not sure, when you are paying for something just say "student discount?" And if they say yes, then show them your card. It really helps a lot.

I just thought about something else. You said you're from Brazil, right? I'm not sure you appreciate exactly how cold it is going to be in January :lol: I actually thought about this an hour ago when I was walking my dog and it is windy and snowing, even though we have been having 50*F weather. Just make sure you are wearing a heavy jacket and have lots of extra socks ;)

If you are a student, you can go to the office and apply for an International Student Identification Card. They cost about 20 dollars and pay for themselves every time. Maybe not with transit, but definitely with museums. Every time you go somewhere you will see there is a price for adults, and a price for students. Sometimes the difference in price is quite significant. If you're not sure, when you are paying for something just say "student discount?" And if they say yes, then show them your card. It really helps a lot.

I just thought about something else. You said you're from Brazil, right? I'm not sure you appreciate exactly how cold it is going to be in January :lol: I actually thought about this an hour ago when I was walking my dog and it is windy and snowing, even though we have been having 50*F weather. Just make sure you are wearing a heavy jacket and have lots of extra socks ;)

For sure :D i live in the south of brazil, here in winters we have -5ºC, 2ºC but dont polar night and snow :cry: but i love cold :D and about the student card, yeah i'll gonna make it, i want to buy an overcoat :headbang: and climb some fjord with snow ant took some tr00 a lá windir photos :lol:

The flag of Denmark is the oldest national flag to have been continuously used since its creation.
I did not know about this rs and now i saw your profile i always remember about some thief troll:lol: i hope i'll could see one auhauh but without my left leg eated by it

I don't know if you'll find many Finnish people encouraging you to go there in wintertime ;)

It is typically much colder and snowier than Norway and Sweden.