Symphony X Forum - A couple announcements

I would be pumped if we could start in depth conversations, both objective and subjective, about individual songs or something like that. I have these talks with my cousin all the time.

You actually brought up something I was thinking of testing here on the Symphony X forum.

I know people share a lot about individual songs, within larger threads or album threads.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a "listen along" sub forum, where each album has its own sub-forum, and within that sub-forum each song has its own thread. For anyone that wants to participate, we post our song thoughts in the appropriate thread and see how it changes (or not) our listening of the songs.

Would that interest anyone?

While I can understand that sentiment, it's pretty common online for product reviews to be skewed toward the negative - because only those users who felt their experience was bad enough will consider it worth their time to file a review. More positivity is a good thing, but it should be a genuine representation - perhaps through one of those suggestions above for additional discussion types.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a "listen along" sub forum, where each album has its own sub-forum, and within that sub-forum each song has its own thread. For anyone that wants to participate, we post our song thoughts in the appropriate thread and see how it changes (or not) our listening of the songs.

I think this would be a very cool idea! It would make room for more indepth discussions about single songs and parts that just would not fit into other topics without straying from them too far.

I registered on UM solely for this forum 10 years ago, around the same time as the Odyssey was released. The band has changed a lot since then, and I have probably been part of the growing negativity toward just that and the decline of prog metal in general.

I've never flamed anyone or anything like that, but I've posted negative reviews and such. I see that's frowned upon by our absent masters.

A band with 0 internet presence (and/or their management) suddenly lets us know they've been wanting to close down the forum. Thank you MetalAges for taking and interest and intervening, but as Jax writes, "there's still an axe lurking overhead". I'm not comfortable with that threat. I will not partake in any community where an outside force (because honestly, that's what they are -- 10 years and not a single message by any of the band members) have the influence to close it down overnight.

It's their home though, and they can do what they want. But I'll end this on my own terms instead. It's been a fun 10 years, although it feels like it's only been me and like 3 others on the board these last 5 years.

Bye.

PS.
V will always be their best album.

You actually brought up something I was thinking of testing here on the Symphony X forum.

I know people share a lot about individual songs, within larger threads or album threads.

YES!

Absolutely! It's a great way to keep things organized, too.

I'm not surprised this is place is so close to getting axed. Traditional forums are dying or have already died everywhere. The negativity is one thing, but I think it's sort of a result of only having a handful of active members so the negative bunch sticks out a lot more.

I like forums a lot, but there's not a whole lot left that I visit.

I don't know. I liked a fair few of the new songs, but ended up not bothering to post my thoughts in the end.

Traditional forums are dying or have already died everywhere. The negativity is one thing, but I think it's sort of a result of only having a handful of active members so the negative bunch sticks out a lot more.
So what has taken / is taking their place for making a followable and consistent conversation?

Wander, perhaps if you helped contribute to the Underworld discussion, the forum as a means of conversation could stay alive!

Symphony X is my favorite band. I have been listening to them for 20 years now. I have always been irritated by the prog-snobs who feel the need to pick apart Symphony X songs. You can tell by their musical recommendations that some of them don't even really like METAL. Symphony X is metal. I love metal. I love Symphony X. Romeo kicks ass. What else is there to say. No problems here!

:popcorn:

Nothing. But Facebook is the main reason.

This... The Devin Townsend forums closed because they didn't see the need for it anymore, with Facebook and Twitter. But the forums were never just a way for Devin to communicate with fans, it was a place for discussion among fans and that is pretty much impossible on social media. It's sad. The internet is huge but there's only very little space for musical discussion...

At least the Dream Theater Forum is doing well. If this forum were to be closed, I'd say that would be the new place to be for Symphony X fans, even though there is only one topic to discuss the band.

This... The Devin Townsend forums closed because they didn't see the need for it anymore, with Facebook and Twitter. But the forums were never just a way for Devin to communicate with fans, it was a place for discussion among fans and that is pretty much impossible on social media. It's sad. The internet is huge but there's only very little space for musical discussion...

At least the Dream Theater Forum is doing well. If this forum were to be closed, I'd say that would be the new place to be for Symphony X fans, even though there is only one topic to discuss the band.

I didn't know DT's forum was up again. They had major issues with theirs for a long time, and it went away because of it. It used to be a cess pool of negativity, and morons.

I always thought the negativity showed a lack of perspective, and perhaps a sense of entitlement....

Forums are necessary as a place for mutual appreciation; that's what we're all here for after all, it's why we came here in the first place.

It's cool to have opinions, but celebrate the band while they are still going, they aren't going to be around forever....

I'm a big supporter (duh) of the forum experience. I also agree that Facebook has taken a large chunk of users, and a lot of that was due to bands / sites moving over there thinking it was the new "be all end all" solution. Then, facebook started limiting how many people could see posts and updates to the point it's useless. Also, while I am a member of some groups, I hate using it as a forum replacement, and won't. It's too hard to keep track with posts and previous "threads". And the search is terrible.

I'll get those song sub-forums set up, it'll be fun, and to tell the truth it will be a good test as I have plans to do it for a ton more bands/albums.

Symphony X is my favorite band. I have been listening to them for 20 years now. I have always been irritated by the prog-snobs who feel the need to pick apart Symphony X songs. You can tell by their musical recommendations that some of them don't even really like METAL. Symphony X is metal. I love metal. I love Symphony X. Romeo kicks ass. What else is there to say. No problems here!

Symphony X used to be a prog band.
I find the metal-heads who just want to headbang are listening to the wrong band because SX's songs are itching to be picked apart.
IMO, Metal sucks when it isn't laced with heavy amounts of prog.
Show a metal-head Divine Wings and they'll be like "WTF is this?".

Symphony X is my favorite band. I have always been irritated by the prog-snobs who feel the need to pick apart Symphony X songs.

Symphony X is my favorite band, too. But just because people enjoy the technical and/or mathematical side of music, it doesn't make them snobs.

Symphony X used to be a prog band. I find the metal-heads who just want to headbang are listening to the wrong band because SX's songs are itching to be picked apart.

I completely agree. There's nothing wrong with metal or headbanging, but Symphony X's roots are definitely in progressive and orchestrated metal. It's still metal, mind you, but the band's compositions are technically complex and thus lend themselves to being dissected.

Since this shot is fired at my head:

I am a listener and musician who loves metal.

I don't just love metal, and while I'll accept that I am a snob, I'm not a prog-snob. I pick apart every band's songs.