symphony x - the odyssey

Morgour

Knight of Gondor
Nov 6, 2002
mercia
Visit site
fuck me, this record is amazing, some of the best guitar work ive ever heard!! these guys rule, i had only heard one song before today and i thought it was too cheesey, but id been hearing good things about there new album, and the record shop didnt have the zakk wylde album i wanted so i took a chance and got this instead, im fucking glad i did, its soooo badass!!

I downloaded and listened to the title track, in an attempt to feed my ever-growing quest to hear every long song I can... Anyway, I wasn't impressed. I also didn't like "The Divine Wings of Tragedy." Strangely enough, I did like the album V: The New Mythology Suite or whatever it's called. I guess I have strange taste. o_O

The album is a good album...... sounds like the guys are messing with some dfferent styles of music in this one... also the mixing sounds better than most of their other albums too.... Not too sure about the effects they added in Russell's voice, you can definately tell that they added more than usual. Its a very different sound than what I heard on V...... overall I mean not just the vocals..... Overall I like it.... its not the sound that yer used to coming from Symphony-X... well that is until the title track The Odyssey, that song to me is one of the best songs on the album... well that and Acolade II....... If yer on the fence about getting it I'd say get it! You just might like it!

:)

The new CD is awesome, it'a a lot heavier then their earlier stuff and Symphony X was always on the heavy side of Progressive Metal to begin with.

I heard bits and pieces from it and thought it was their most aggressive work to date. I ordered it along with the new Opeth and expect it in the mail this Tuesday or Wednesday.

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
I like the album, but it seems as though Russel tryed for too much badass vocals on this one. Then there are the really soft vocals. There just isn't any middle ground it seems.

Yeah, the quasi growling takes a while to get used to... But seriously, i think he's one of the best prog vocalists out there, almost up there with Mr. Dane himself. I like his vocals on V better, he was mucking around with the deep singing like WD too (In egypt, "Raise my minions, from within the deep abyss..." sounds absolutely killer :eek: ).

Hey, at least he's not King Nasal like James Labrie, the stupid loser. "Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine she left me Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine" :heh:

YEah but Russel should embrace his nerd roots rather than cover them up with those silly ruff vocals. He may be doing harsh but he is still singing a song based on that magician scene from fantasia! :)

I like to think of power metal as prog metal's dorky younger brother

Its definately symphony x's greatest offering yet. Blows away all their previous efforts! Technically the guitarwork is godly, Romeo is clearly a virtuoso! I'd highly recommend this album to anybody metal.

I had never heard Symphony X until I saw them with Blind Guardian on 11/24. After that, I went home, downloaded The Divine Wings of Traedy, Twilight in Olympus, V, and The Odyssey and now have them all on order from The End. I was -blown away- by these guys and I'm still in awe. The song "Of Sins and Shadows" alone has kept my attention ever since they played. The Bohemian Rhapsody-esque vocals, the killer guitar work-- that song has everything. I'm very impressed with these guys and I can't wait for my CDs.

I'm a recent convert too. I'd avoided the band in the past as I thought the album sleeves and band pics looked a little cheesy for my taste, but I really wish I'd have heard them sooner. That'll teach me for judging a book by it's cover, eh?

The Odyssey is my album of the year.

Lee