Symphony X - The Odyssey

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Holy schnikey! That about sums this 1 up. I was never a real big Symphony X fan I'll admit. The only album I owned prior to PPIII was 'V' and it just didn't completely connect with me. But Bear forced me to listen to the new stuff - thanks Bear - and man, this is good. For those of you who haven't yet hear this magnum opus, I've currently got it ranked as the #3 album on my year-end list. To give you a benchmark as to the other albums I have up there, the new ones from Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Vader & Nile round out my current top 5. The closest album to this in the power/prog genres IMO is Blind Guardian's ANATO, which I have at #10.

I can't say enough good things about this record. I really can't. It's been in my CD player all day and at least 4 of the tracks are 5/5 on my personal scale. I unfortunately can't compare this to their earlier works, but luckily I picked up most of the Russell Allen-fronted stuff at the show. I of course now need to go back and listen much more closely to 'V' because I'm finding it hard to believe that the same band that produced 'The Odyssey' could put out a bad album. Man, I love when I find an album that grabs me like this! :headbang:

Consider me a newly-minted convert to the Symphony X worship squad!

LOL Right on dude . Yeah Symphony X is simply the sickest!. This album is a constant and Russell continues to show his dominance with his vocal performances. I am glad I could have helped turn you onto it!!

So I take it you are getting to see them soon or did they just play up there during PPUSA weekend??? I get them here in three weeks, I know it will rocketh muchly!!!

Bear

See how you right coasters are!!!! Well I was getting rather slambodied with Evergrey during BG's set at PPUSA, so I will catch them up in SF in a few weeks and see what all the fuss is about :headbang: :devil:

I am sure you will have yet another great time mark, RAWK!!!

Bear

The thing is you guys are just hella lucky, we don't always get the cool tours out here, we are gettting this one still but not Angra, which totally sucks!!! I was so blown away by Angra I really am going to need to see them again!!Have a good road trip bud!!

Bear

Originally posted by markgugs
Upon even further listen, am I the only one that hears some later-era Virgin Steele sounding stuff in the epic title track? It's so damned good!

speaking of, are you going to the Virgin Steele show at the Downtown in december? perhaps i can actually meet you this time around; I meant to try finding a lot more of the forum people at PPUSA, but some asshole assembled such a solid lineup of bands that i could never leave the concert hall and look for them. Damn him. :D

Ryan

Ryan, not that I wouldn't love to meet up, shoot the breeze and quaff a few of the amber nectar of the gods, but I'm from northern New Jersey. It'll take more than Virgin Steele to get me to fly to Atlanta for a concert... :D

Originally posted by Wishmaster
So, I'm guessing that you won't be too thrilled that I'm road-tripping up to DC in about 6 hours to see SymX/BG on Friday *and* Sunday nights, eh? :)

Should be a good time! \m :headbang: m/

--Mike

Hey Mike, I'll be at that show on Friday. Look me up. I'm likely to be hanging with Glenn the Merch. guy for a good portion of the night, at least until BG starts, at which time I'll be heading home.....hehehe

Mark, already one step ahead of you bud! Bought it the day after Bear let me hear the Odyssey. Also grabbed "Twilight..." and I've always had "V" just never got into it. I agree with you that "Divine..." is the closest sound to the new one that these rookie ears have heard yet. Is the s/t or 'Damnation Game' worth owning?

I think The Damnation Game is definitely worth it. It's a very solid disc. As for the s/t, Russell isn't the vocalist on it. Rod was decent, but Russ is a much better vocalist, imo. It's an average disc, and I hardly ever listen to it.

Here's my Symphony X rankings for their original recordings:
1)TDWoT
2)The Odyssey
3)Twilight In Olympus
4)The Damnation Game
5)V
6)s/t

-Mark

Originally posted by markgugs
Ryan, not that I wouldn't love to meet up, shoot the breeze and quaff a few of the amber nectar of the gods, but I'm from northern New Jersey. It'll take more than Virgin Steele to get me to fly to Atlanta for a concert... :D

Virgin Steele come to Atlanta? In my dreams.

You miss read his post. Ryan and I are flying to NYC to see Virgin Steele's 3hr set on December 21st that they will by recording a DVD during. Being that you are from Northern New Jersey, I doubt it is a long trip for you.

I wish I could see Symphony X(esp. since their new album blew me away), but they are not coming within 10 hours of Atlanta. And since I'll be paying well over a grand to go to NY to see VS (my favorite band :) ), I can't afford to fly anywhere to see Sym X.

Originally posted by ReaLM
Virgin Steele come to Atlanta? In my dreams.

You miss read his post. Ryan and I are flying to NYC to see Virgin Steele's 3hr set on December 21st that they will by recording a DVD during. Being that you are from Northern New Jersey, I doubt it is a long trip for you.

I wish I could see Symphony X(esp. since their new album blew me away), but they are not coming within 10 hours of Atlanta. And since I'll be paying well over a grand to go to NY to see VS (my favorite band :) ), I can't afford to fly anywhere to see Sym X.

Wow, I'm a dumbass! Where can I find information about this Virgin Steele show? I'd LOVE to go, having missed their last 3 performances in NYC for one reason or another. Dec. 21st is the day after my girlfriend's 29th birthday, so I'll have to see what I can finagle, but I'm going to do my best to be there...and I'd love to meet up with you guys!

-Mark

Yeah, that's not too far, about 1 hour and 15 minutes or so...depending on holiday-time traffic in and around NYC. That's out in Long Island, and I've never heard of the venue, but it looks nice. When are you guys planning on flying into the NY area?