Symphony X will be a support act for forthcoming stratovarius tour

Lapazeus

Feb 16, 2002
Turku, Finland
Visit site
Here is a quote from www.stratovarius.com

[30.08.2002]

Stratovarius has decided to take 2 bands as their support acts to their forthcoming world-tour. Those bands are Symphony X and Thunderstone. With these 3 bands it is guaranteed to make a metal evening to remember for all Stratovarius fans.

What the HELL?! Symphony X as an opening act for STRATOVARIUS?? Ok, I like Strato very much, but still I think SX should be the main act there...

Well, I have heard, that Stratovarius always wanted Symphony X as support for their tours or at least on tour with them.
Personally, I think that a world tour with a well-known band such as Stratovarius could be good and would open a lot of doors for them, let alone introduce them to a wider and bigger audience, yet Symphony X as "warm-up" for Stratovarius? Come on. The other way around would be better ;)
Symphony X deserve to be headliners. Okay, other factors come in there too, yet please: NOT Stratovarius. Please! I'd leave the gig after SX anyway, IF...

I do not hate Stratovarius, yet I don't like them.

I believe this is for a european tour, so no Strato in the US yet (dammit!). And whats wrong with Symphony X playing with power metal bands? A HUGE part of their sound is power metal, in fact I'd say they have more power in them than prog metal, and besides, they're touring with some of the most world renown metal bands out there (that is, world renown outside the US, hehe).

Hello? Reality check time.

Stratovarius not only play to much larger crowds, but *more* places on their European tour. This is a fantastic opportunity for the band to get more recognition as they would not be able to afford to tour this extensive on their own. Furthemore, they do appeal to the power metal market and that is where the numbers are at in a live setting. Unless your name is Dream Theater, you will not see a large progressive metal audience regardless of where you play or who you are. Ask Fates Warning.

I agree that SX is a better band. However, you have to be realistic in your business opportunities. Would the band prefer to play in front of 300 at a pub in Belgium or 3,000 at Stratovarius show at "insert any major city."

Glenn H.

I think it's great! I like both Stratovarius and Symphony X. Symphony X are for sure better IMO, but Strato is more popular, so it's natural that they play main act. But it's amazing to see two bands that talented on one show, and it's cool of the Strato guys to give bands like Symphony X a chance to get bigger! I'd only love to see that they swap Thunderstone for Children of Bodom, and I'll be in heaven, haha.

Holy crap! Nobody hear likes THUNDERSTONE?!?

Thunderstone rocks big time! They are not just another power metal band IMO. They have awesome chops and time changes periodically, and the music flat out kicks my ass.

Originally posted by DrumRman
Holy crap! Nobody hear likes THUNDERSTONE?!?

Thunderstone rocks big time! They are not just another power metal band IMO. They have awesome chops and time changes periodically, and the music flat out kicks my ass.

The singer sounds very much like Timo Kotipelto, and no wonder: He's been singing backs on some Strato album. Anyway, I would call them just another power metal band. But they're not bad (not that great either). They just need few albums, though all the guys are not new in the metal business..