T.C. Electronic G-Major

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Anybody use the G-Major here (especially with a 5150)? If so, what foot pedal do you use? I'm considering getting one. I've heard the G-Major can change an amp's channels; does this work with the 5150?

All I'll need to do is program it for a dry rhythm tone, a lead with some delays, a clean with a some chorus & reverb, and a few other specialty sounds. I've heard the G-Minor pedal is pretty worthless, but would it work for what I need to do? I definitely don't need to get super-fancy with MIDI; nothing more sophisticated than changing the channel on the amp and the settings on the G-Major. I've heard the Ground Control is a killer pedal, but it's expensive. I have an old Mesa Abacus I could use.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for being clueless

Yup, can change channels just fine! I used to have one with my 5150.

The Abacus will work fine - I'm not sure exactly how to program it, but it might be setup already for G-Major type activity. (button 1 pulls up preset 1, 2 for 2, etc).

I personally had great results with the Behringer FCB1010 - built like a tank, and super easy to program - I didn't have to touch anything but the expression pedals, to get it to sync 100% with the G-Major.

Are you going to be using the OD infront of the 5150 live? If so, there are a couple options you have as far as switching it in/out of the chain via the G-Major. The best is to use a Nobels ALEX-1... basically it's a stand alone loop that can be controlled by a 1/4 relay - like the G-Majors. Run the guitar into the ALEX, ALEX out to the amp, with the OD in the ALEX's loop. Then, get a stereo to 2 mono 1/4" Y splitter, plug the stere side into the G-Major, run one cable to the 5150's footswitch jack (might have to play around with the TRS wiring to get it to switch channels, rather than the FX loop on/off. I set mine up to leave the FX loop on, and switch the channels - it was a simple wiring job), and run the other side of the splitter into the Alex. Then, you can control the relays on the G-Major to open or close (add/remove OD to chain, change channels) and apply that to each preset.

I have a G-Major that I use alongside my JMP1 and 9100. For controller I ended up going for a Rocktron MIDI Mate which seems a really solid bit of kit (expression pedals are extra though if you need that facility).

As DSS3 said though, I've heard plenty of reports of people getting great results with the Behringer FCB1010. I almost went that way myself.

There's a knowledge-base article here on the channel switching facilities of the G-Major.

How to make channel switching work with G-Major / G-System

I've been meaning to try it with the voice switch on the 9100 but not got round to it yet.

Muttley

I'm still using my G-Major with my Triple XXX, plus two other rack FX :)
For controller, I used the FCB1010 but as all things behringer, utter crap. I'm getting the Axess Electronics MFC5 now.

BTW. Have other ppl had the problem of the control wheel going scetchy? It jumps between values in wierd manner. h, and some pixels in my display just died, but ugly :p

i would say get a rocktron Xpression instead. Its more transparent than the G-major(it wont kill your tone), and a beringer FCB1010 midi board, the Xpression cant change the amp channels but the FCB1010 can.

The FCB's relays are temporary, not latching. They can't change the 5150's channels.

The G-Major didn't affect any amps tone I had, besides the Rectifier, but those are notorious for sounding like shit with anything in the loop. A tech at Mesa I talked to said it was some kind of FED getting too much signal, or something to that effect.

The G-Major has better effects and is more versatile than the Xpression - I tried both out extensively before buying the Major.

I tried the Xpression before buying the G-Major (handily the 2nd guitarist in my band has one), and to me the G-Major won hands down, especially on the chorus and delay front but also with a better interface too.

I've not noticed any kind of tone killing with it either, sounds like FUD to me. ;)

Muttley

Noumenon said:
BTW. Have other ppl had the problem of the control wheel going scetchy? It jumps between values in wierd manner. h, and some pixels in my display just died, but ugly :p

Control wheel's fine here, but I get that occasionally on my JMP1 so I know what you mean. No dead pixels either, but then it is only a few months old.

Muttley

Had the same problem with the wheel yeah.. got worse. Heard more people had that same problem.

I sold my G-major. Got a Rocktron Replifex now, more friendly to my tone.. I noticed my G-major made my top-end sound too digital. Tonesuck.

I have one, I don't think I like it. I'm running it with a TriAxis/2:90 setup. It does seem to suck some tone, which is one thing I really don't like.

I'm also using the FCB1010 and I hate it. I was thinking about picking up either a DMC Ground Control, or just shelling out the big bucks and getting something setup through Custom Audio Electronics. At least that way, I wouldn't really have to program it all myself, since I feel like I'm too stupid to do so.

\m/FRNK\m/ said:
Had the same problem with the wheel yeah.. got worse. Heard more people had that same problem.

I sold my G-major. Got a Rocktron Replifex now, more friendly to my tone.. I noticed my G-major made my top-end sound too digital. Tonesuck.
Both wheels went really crappy on my G-Major. Luckily I had my patches dialed in (though it took forever)... Went on the road for 2 weeks, both wheels fell off after the 3rd show. If you're going to buy one, get one new and make sure that it has a warranty of some sort in case this comes up.

It seems (to me) that there are a bunch of people that have issues with the G-Major's wheels, and a bunch of people that never run into any problems.

I don't think so...I might have signed up there once upon a time, but I don't recall spending any time there.

A buddy of mine sold me on the G-Major....turns out he's having less problems with his setup, but he's gone back and forth from a XXX and an MP-1 rig....he's got new amps all the fuckin time, so I don't really know how much of a staple the G-Major is in his rig.

I picked up my Triaxis/2:90 simply on testimonies and reviews...it sounds good, but I have a buzz that I really dislike when I use any decent amount of gain. I don't really think it's normal amp buzz, as others have tried to tell me it is....I think something is causing it to buzz the way it does.

sorry to resurect this threaad, and go on about another thing.
i was thinking about getting the classic gmajor fcb1010 rig, but after reading and hearing some not so great things about another quality ballbagger product, im looking for a different midi controller.

Anyone know/ reckon the rocktron midi xchange will work with a g major?
that thing looks perfect for me