TC Electronic G major

greyskull

Mar 22, 2006
So.....
after playing with Sikth the other day and watching how effortlessly they were switching sounds, and having delays properly locked into the tempo of every song i got the idea into my head of a rack fx of some sort.. ie Tc G major.

thus canning a lot of my noisy unreliable boss stomps.

I went to my local shop and tried both that and the g sharp.

G sharp was very intuitive and easy to use, but a little lacking in the feature department, but not bad

Then i tried the G major...
jeeeeesus
i got a head ache just trying to set the delay time. This bit of kit aint for the faint hearted
It does however sound ace, and my chums in fell silent have been doing great things with em.

What really sold it to me though, is the external switch, so you can switch amp channels on your g major presets.....
smoooooooooooooooth. save me a lot of the tap dancing i've been doing,

What i wanna know is, does any one else have any experience with it,
can they reccomend a nice controller board for it (every one i know; sikth included use the beringer 1010)

And if possible are there any good alternitaves?

Cheers guys

yeah i thought about that too.. although its a little more on the pricey side of things

Used to have the G-Major + Behringer 1010 - loved it.

The delay times are easy, it's just a tap tempo. I even set up a button on the 1010 as a tap tempo footswitch. Was really easy, once you get down to it.

Getting used to the way that rack mount processors work takes a bit of time but it's worth it. I'd suggest you look for something other than a G-Major though. The converters aren't that great so they do change your sound but the main reason is that they have a terrible service record. Lots of repairs on those units. I can't recommend them. Look into the Rocktron Xpression instead. It's just as good and it's modulation effects are better than the G-Major. It has an excellent service record and even the switching port too.

Oh yeah, once you get used to having all that power and flexability you will wonder how you ever got along with just a pedal or two.

Getting used to the way that rack mount processors work takes a bit of time but it's worth it. I'd suggest you look for something other than a G-Major though. The converters aren't that great so they do change your sound but the main reason is that they have a terrible service record. Lots of repairs on those units. I can't recommend them. Look into the Rocktron Xpression instead. It's just as good and it's modulation effects are better than the G-Major. It has an excellent service record and even the switching port too.

It doesn't have the switching port, unfortunately - and that's what killed it for me.

But, he's right. the G-Major WILL alter your tone a bit.

I'm actually going with a Boss GT-3/6/8 (not sure which yet) unit, as you can use it's loop to run your amp with the tubescreamer on the entire time, and not be stuck with the shit clean channel your amp (like my 5150) might have.

dude... the other guitarist in laruso, darren, uses a G major and it switches his duel rec... it is indeed smooth, he uses the "ground control"

another way to do this is to get hold of one of the nobels boxes that allows remote midi switching - they are say 50 pounds ish and have 4 relays on them as opposed to the 2 on the g major...... i'm doing it this way using a pod xt pro in my rack and solo 50.... best and most versitile rig i've ever run live fo sho'!

if you want any more specific info on the g-major & ground control pm me and i'll ask darren for you - he's toured it for say 4 years.... never broken.
C

Look at the G-System while you are in the market, same thing just with more switching options and effects loops and a solid metal foot controller.

The guitar player in my band bought the G-System and it wasnt that good at all. There was a big delay in between effect changes and changing channels on the amp. Of course, his Mark IV doenst have MIDI amp switching ability which could have been the reason why there was a delay. Just a heads up though. And it's a bit too much for the price.