Tab Accuracy Question

The tuning is correct, some of the notes are correct, but the timing isn't. I have the actual bass tab for this song that Feldman made if you'd like me to send it to you. I have it in guitar pro, or .pdf version.

Mike and I have been talking about finishing up the tabs for the entire new album, I've just been to busy and lazy to do it lol.

The E string is tuned to A#????

Ok, I might sound like a frickin' moron here, but having never played in that tuning, is it tuned UP to or DOWN to A#, from E?

The E string is tuned to A#????

Ok, I might sound like a frickin' moron here, but having never played in that tuning, is it tuned UP to or DOWN to A#, from E?

You would tune down for that. Our main tuning is tuning each string down two steps, then tuning that "E" string down another step. You'll need some heavier gauge strings to pull it off.

I tried going the four string route when I initially joined but my bass just wasn't happy staying in Doom tuning. Once I got my five string, I never looked back. It is tuned a little oddly but it makes sense: A# F A# D# G#. It's actually pretty easy to tune because the B string is dropped a half step and the E A D and G strings are all raised a half step. Some of our songs are in C in which case I just tune the low A# string up a whole step (half step up from B) to match the other strings. I did the INRI tour with a four string and could prob still play all of those songs with a four string if I had to but I wouldn't want to play any Aphotic songs w/o a five string. It could technically be done but it would be awkward and difficult.

I used to buy packs of 5 string sting sets for my four strings Doom basses and string up the B E A and D strings while discarding the G strings.

You have to set up your bass for our tuning as well or else your action and intonation will be fucked. The five string really streamlined the bass set up for me. Our tuning is not too different from what the bass was designed to be tuned to so it didn't require much tweaking. Most four strings on the other hand are not designed or intended to be tuned as low as we are.

I'm doing a cover of "lost in a day" and i just wanted to know if you guys play the main intro/verse riff with one guitar doing the melody and one doing the rythme wich is wat i do or is more of a chord thing?
?

I'm doing a cover of "lost in a day" and i just wanted to know if you guys play the main intro/verse riff with one guitar doing the melody and one doing the rythme wich is wat i do or is more of a chord thing?
?

From what I remember, Larry is doing the main melody line, and I'm playing the heavy chords along with that melody line inside the chords. We haven't played that song in a really long time so I don't remember exactly.

On "Lost In A Day", Vito plays the heavy chords, and I'm doing this kind of hybrid chord-plus-melody line thing......gosh I don't know how to explain it exactly, it'd be easier to show you.

In all seriousness, one of the things I've really been wanting to do is get some instructional video clips up on the official ND Youtube page. I actually already filmed one for "Twilight Innocence", but we've been SO goddamned busy with preparing for the release of this cd and the shows, plus doing the podcasts and all the other behind-the-scenes business stuff, we just haven't gotten around to putting any of it up. So if you guys have certain songs, or even better if there are certain PARTS of songs that you're having trouble figuring out by ear, let us know. We'll take it all into consideration for the lesson videos we do. I'm hoping this is something we'll tackle very soon once these tour dates are done.

On "Lost In A Day", Vito plays the heavy chords, and I'm doing this kind of hybrid chord-plus-melody line thing......gosh I don't know how to explain it exactly, it'd be easier to show you.

Yea im pretty sure i know what you mean. Iv tried to play it in every way i could imagine. Is it just me or alot of your songs have these weird chord-plus-melody things in it wich make it harder to figure out. I spent years dissecting chris and mike amott solos and i find it way harder to figure out thees awsome Novembers Doom riff wich sound simple but have an un-usual complexity to them. I would love to see how "I hurt those i adore" is played cuz iv been trying to figure it out but theres some things im not familiar with going on in there.

Yes we do tend to use the chord-plus-melody thing alot, and it does make a difference to the sound of the parts as compared to just one guitar doing the rhythm and the other doing a single note line. Plus sometimes both guitarists are doing the chord/melody thing and there's slight differences between the notes we're playing which adds either some bits of harmony or intentional dissonance. When I've watched people play our songs, on YouTube videos or whatever, I notice that it usually those sections which people tend to misinterpret and play incorrectly. It's not technically hard, and once you get more familiar with the method and how we do it, it becomes alot easier to learn and play our stuff. When I get videos up on YouTube I will make sure that I do a lesson where I demonstrate some of this stuff specifically.

Yea im pretty sure i know what you mean. Iv tried to play it in every way i could imagine. Is it just me or alot of your songs have these weird chord-plus-melody things in it wich make it harder to figure out. I spent years dissecting chris and mike amott solos and i find it way harder to figure out thees awsome Novembers Doom riff wich sound simple but have an un-usual complexity to them. I would love to see how "I hurt those i adore" is played cuz iv been trying to figure it out but theres some things im not familiar with going on in there.

I Hurt Those I Adore is in C standard tuning if that helps. Mike and I have a tab started for that song, it's just missing the intro, chorus, and bridge sections. I know we keep saying we'll get more tabs up, but we always end up with a ton of shit to do either personally, or in the band. Maybe we'll have some down time on this tour coming up to put the finishing touches on a lot of the tabs.