ND's next album in '06?

Verano

Jul 17, 2005
Well I've been looking at some metal news websites...and came across on a article about ND in writing process for the next album:worship:
Is this true or what? Supposedly the next album would be more aggressive than Pale Haunt Departure...and won't have that "Doom" feeling to it...:confused: ...whatever the ND guys come up with, I'll still buy it, go to their shows and and support them as a fan!

Yes. We're writing now. It will still have doomy elements, but even more difficult to place us into the "doom metal" category. We're stepping things up a bit. No one wants to hear the same CD twice, and we've always evolved, so this is a natural progression. Trust me, you'll be happy with the outcome. It's still way to early to tell where we'll end up, but the first few written will surprise a few people.

Novembers Paul said:
It will still have doomy elements, but even more difficult to place us into the "doom metal" category.

You should just change your name to Novembers Death. No one would label you as doom then. :loco:

Yeah no kidding. It's kind of unfortunate that people do automatically label us as doom in part because of our name. Christian Death don't play death metal, and noone labels them as such. Novembers Doom is just a name, I dunno, it really honestly doesn't mean shit to us anymore in terms of having any great "meaning" behind it. It was invented by the old guitarist because it suited the feel of the dark moody music and lyrics at the time, not so much as a means of stating "hey look, we're a doom metal band" haha

There's always going to be "doom-y" elements to our music because that's just a part of who we are, but we don't write music with the thought of "hey we have to write songs that are doom metal". This lineup we have right now is probably the most open minded we've had in terms of just having a wide array of influences and being willing to draw upon them more than before. If we want to play fast, we're going to. If we want to play slow guitar harmonies, we're going to do that as well. As long as it all flows together consistently and sounds like "us", then that's all that matters.

The goal right now is to try and have the new album out sometime in '06, probably not until at least Autumn (how fitting, lol). But writing is still in the relatively early stages and we've never really been ones to rush ourselves, so who knows. If the writing continues the way it has been going, I think we'll be ready to record the new cd sooner than later, hopefully.

Im actually in it for new shirts designs, The CD, and their North American Tour, and for the band next year! :)

So you guys say the album will suprise some people? Are you dropping the Growls or is it still a nice mixture?

It'd be awesome to have a new Novembers Doom CD come out next year. That way I don't have to think as hard at the end of the year for Top 10 lists. I can just throw that at the top and be safe (that is, unless the Usurper boys put out something next year...contention!)

Don't want to give away too much especially this early in the writing stage, but one thing I can guarantee is that there is PLENTY of growling vocals on this next album. Trust me, we're not going softer, quite the contrary.

The whole apostrophe thing.....man it's crazy how much people make comments about that. It's a fucking death metal band name, man. Who cares about proper punctuation? LOL How many band names are improperly spelled and such all the time, and yet we catch so much hell because of a gay apostrophe. Technically the apostrophe would make it correct grammatically, yes. If people are letting the lack of the apostrophe really bother them, then they need to find something else to do, seriously haha (not meaning you, Madu). Sometimes it just gets frustrating when I get so many questions about things like a missing apostrophe, but not questions about the songwriting or guitar playing or something, haha. People just focus on weird shit when it comes to us, I dunno.

As for the whole "shaking the doom" tag thing....ah we've covered that pretty much in the past, but basically we're not trying to turn our backs on sounding doomy or moody, not at all. Just tired of constantly being pigenonholed into such a specific category that doesn't really suit alot of the music we play now. Like I said before, if we want to write some fast songs or parts, we will do it, regardless of whatever category people have sort of forced us into over the years. It's funny that people will fight vehemently about bands like Opeth not being doom, but then they'll insist that we're totally a doom band. Meanwhile those same people will also say that we're sounding alot like Opeth and so on. It's just alot of contradictions and shit that doesn't make sense. The bottom line is, from here on out, we're going to write and play whatever it is that we truly enjoy doing, and if it doesn't quite fit the "genre" requirements that people think we ought to, then too bad. I care about songs being either good or bad, not whether they're doom or death or goth or whatever other tag there is.

So anyhow, no it's not as if we're saying "screw doom metal, we're rebelling" haha We just enjoy aspiring to be one of those bands that defies categorization, though someone will still come up with some crazy ass tag for what it is we do! ;)