Tablature

Jan 3, 2002
Drammen, Norge
Ok , I've transcribed Four Element Synchronicity and The Genuine Pulse (bass only), go to borknagar.com under the Auditorium section to d/l them.

Tyr

What a great set of tabs, a problem, why dose the tab last for 4 minuites and the song last 5. Is it played slower or dose the fadeout last a long time.

What is your technique do you use to play at that speed. I'm a big Maiden so i'm used to playing very fast at the kind to break neckspeed that Steve Harris manages to keep consistent, but i do find it hard to play very fast songs like Wrathchildand The number of the Beast for the duration of the song. I played classical guitar for 4 years before i started playing bass, so i am aware of the correct way to play guitar with both hands and all fingers on my right hand. Are there any exersises that i can do to speed up my fingers.

I use a 3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1 etc approach (3=ringfinger , 2=middlefinger and 1=index)
Not too uncommon I believe...
I don't really know of any specific right-hand exercises , just use a metronome and build up endurance and speed with the ton of patience I'm sure you have...;)

Pratice, practice, practice.

Sit on the shitter and play scales. Play scales at your buddy's house. Knowing where to go improves your speed dramatically. Learn the fingerboard as if it were the back of your hand.

Good news for non-Windows users , the tabs are now availble in .PDF-format , so all you need now is Acrobat Reader in order to view the songs.
I'm sure Ezaphen will put them up on our site very shortly.

question : do you write down all the tabs for the bands you play in ? or do you manage to remember mosts of them ?? the emperor tabs must be hard to remember..

Originally posted by BTK
question : do you write down all the tabs for the bands you play in ? or do you manage to remember mosts of them ?? the emperor tabs must be hard to remember..

Bas(s)ically I remember them all , if I were to play some Emperor tunes today I'd need to refresh my memory by playing the songs after a cd. But I learn songs by ear , not tabs.
The Borknagar tabs are meant as a service to anyone interested in my basslines. I don't need them myself.

Originally posted by Tyr
Bas(s)ically I remember them all , if I were to play some Emperor tunes today I'd need to refresh my memory by playing the songs after a cd. But I learn songs by ear , not tabs.
The Borknagar tabs are meant as a service to anyone interested in my basslines. I don't need them myself.

okay...but I guess you have been playing for a long time.. I've been playing for like 2 years..and I need tabs...

Music should be limitless, i agree. But it still means that the basic have to be learned like how to read, note values and playing styles. An example of this would be a new bass player wanting to play Rush and only trying to play Rush even though it is far too advanced for them.

Are Emperor song as hard to play as they look. Watching Emperial live ceremony the bass line seems to be a combination of the lead and the rythum, which is were bass lines should lie exept for the parts like in I am the black wizards where Tyr and Ihsahn do the same and Samoth still plays cords. Why is this and do emperor power tabs exist which include bass.

Originally posted by Sulphur Rose
Are Emperor song as hard to play as they look. Watching Emperial live ceremony the bass line seems to be a combination of the lead and the rythum, which is were bass lines should lie exept for the parts like in I am the black wizards where Tyr and Ihsahn do the same and Samoth still plays cords. Why is this and do emperor power tabs exist which include bass.

I had no tabs or anything when I learned the Emperor songs , and most of the basslines aren't really audible on the albums , so I had to create alot of stuff as I went along. Originally with Emperor , the basslines doesn't really play a big part of the music , so I just added a bit of myself into it to make it work better.
Concerning "I am the Black Wizards" , I played it pretty much as it was intended from the start , and that was because we wanted to keep the "necro" feel to it.
I don't think there are any Emperor PowerTabs which include the bass.

Happy drinking ot all. i would say happy christmas but im NOT christian and as no one seem to celerbrate any of the Datanist festevals. But any way Old Rush or new, that is the question as Geddy has something to teach us all. I think newer Rush but albums like 2112 and counterparts are still good but don't seem to rock like vapour trails and dose sound like Opeth in some strange kind of way.