Tabs Or Ear Training?

Tzoni

New Metal Member
Nov 4, 2006
Argos, Greece
Everyone, I've been playing guitar for like two years and I would like to know if it's best to learn a song by ear, or try playing it by reading a tab. My personal opinion is that ear training is best, but still, I don't know if reading tabs is going to better my techique. Anyone playing guitar here, I'd like your opinion.

Well, it's important that you start to use your ears to understand the riffs for first, and then te solos. But if you can use the tabs to correct the things that you have done wrong, like misunderstanding the whole tuning of the song.

P.S.
I've started to tab a future uncertain, only the first measure :p

http://www.*************/files/room47/1353595/a future uncertain.gp5

Hey Tzoni,
Welcome to the forum! Toanswer your question, I have to agree with Galliral(Welcome to the forum man!) in that focusing on developing your ear will be key_ to not only your guitar playing, and to learning your favorite songs, but will focus you on the music you hear in your head as well.
Tablature is a great way to learn songs as well, and, as Galliral pointed out, a great way to double check things, make sure they're in the right places, incudling tuning. Nothing beats actual authorized transcriptions. As one who has done this for a living for a short time with transcribing music for a guitar magazine, and in years and years of lessons as well, trust me when I say, you need to know the source is reliable! There's a lot of stuff on the net that's both good and reliable, and stuff that might be someone's first effort at transcribing, so always, if you're checking internet tab, get a few references, and use your ear_ to decide which transcription is "closer to the truth".
I spent my first 6 months of playing guitar, at a friend's house, trying to figure out AC/DC's Back in Black album, and several Aerosmith songs, by ear, before I got lessons. When I did start taking lessons, I found I knew a lot of the stuff I was trying to learn pretty much were the right notes, but had to learn to listen for the timbre' of the notes as well( listening for specifically what string those notes were played on). It takes a while to focus your ear on this, but the more you do, as they say....
Hope that helps put a little more perspective on this for you man!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
P.S. I'll be starting internet lessons for a brief time upcoming! Stay tuned on this forum for more details upcoming!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hey Tzoni,
Welcome to the forum! Toanswer your question, I have to agree with Galliral(Welcome to the forum man!) in that focusing on developing your ear will be key_ to not only your guitar playing, and to learning your favorite songs, but will focus you on the music you hear in your head as well.
Tablature is a great way to learn songs as well, and, as Galliral pointed out, a great way to double check things, make sure they're in the right places, incudling tuning. Nothing beats actual authorized transcriptions. As one who has done this for a living for a short time with transcribing music for a guitar magazine, and in years and years of lessons as well, trust me when I say, you need to know the source is reliable! There's a lot of stuff on the net that's both good and reliable, and stuff that might be someone's first effort at transcribing, so always, if you're checking internet tab, get a few references, and use your ear_ to decide which transcription is "closer to the truth".
I spent my first 6 months of playing guitar, at a friend's house, trying to figure out AC/DC's Back in Black album, and several Aerosmith songs, by ear, before I got lessons. When I did start taking lessons, I found I knew a lot of the stuff I was trying to learn pretty much were the right notes, but had to learn to listen for the timbre' of the notes as well( listening for specifically what string those notes were played on). It takes a while to focus your ear on this, but the more you do, as they say....
Hope that helps put a little more perspective on this for you man!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
P.S. I'll be starting internet lessons for a brief time upcoming! Stay tuned on this forum for more details upcoming!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks a lot for the advice man! And get well soon!

thanks for the welcome steve! I've always lurked this forum and the nevermore one. i will keep on posting :)

well, i think ear training is pretty important. i feel very frustrated when i hear this cool melody in my head that i can't put down on the guitar, and i try for hours and then i forget it and it goes down the drain cause i can't recreate it in my head again. I try to figure out creeping death by ear, (i'm working on the verse riff now) and poison god machine (i'm working on the first notes and powerchords :lol:). My mom, an ex classical violin player (she played since kindergarden through college as she went to a music k-12) keeps telling me about the importance of reading music combined with ear training. i don't get why reading music is important, but that doesn't matter in this thread.
edit, because of all this tab and music being available to everyone via internet music is way worse nowadays, because of young players who learned everysong they could via tabs and got insane technique, yet their music sucks (just a personal opinion) because it is just too mathematically created. Like there are X notes in this scale and people play combinations of them and their arpeggios, relative minors and so forth. In the 80s and guitarist who were educated back then when there were no computers, and internet can come up with more inventive stuff because they hear it in their head. Examples: testament, nevermore, metallica (flame suit on:p), marty friedman, chuck schuldiner, mohamed sucimez from necrophagist. Eric peterson or skolnick (don't remember who) said in an interview that they would spend hours listening to their favorite record and figuring it out by ear, but when it came time for a testament record, they would play what they heard in their heads.