Best way to learn a song?

It depends what you mean by sounding nothing like the artist. The gear will just give you a tone like theirs, are you saying the tone isn't right? Are the notes not the right pitch? You need to be a bit less vague about the issue
I'm playing the intro correctly, but it sounds nothing like the artist's recording.

The tone isn't right, that's correct.

Still don't know what you mean by "sounds nothing like the artist's recording", your tone will never sound like theirs since they have had it produced and mastered. A video letting us know what exactly makes it sound nothing like them would help, because we still have no idea what area you are referring to.

Is it the pitch, the tone, or something else

Still don't know what you mean by "sounds nothing like the artist's recording", your tone will never sound like theirs since they have had it produced and mastered. A video letting us know what exactly makes it sound nothing like them would help, because we still have no idea what area you are referring to.

Is it the pitch, the tone, or something else
Hmmmmm... when I play the intro it sounds different to the recording. My guitar tone is different to theirs.

The tone.

So even if I had the exact same gear as the artist, it would be impossible to get the same tone?

Well if you had the same exact gear you'd get pretty much as close as you can, but still in the recording they have multiple guitars and have it professionally produced so there's only so much you can do. For their tone I'm just gunna take a guess and say they have their amp settings with high bass, low mid, high treble, very high gain. I don't really listen to them but most people in that style have settings similar to that. Basically it's not impossible, but you should try to find your own tone and save yourself a couple thousand trying to replicate thiers

Liquinn, you can use soundcloud or youtube to post clips, that way we could see what's up with not sound alike to the original.
Here's a wee clip just messing about with effects, playing the intro and some parts later on in the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. If I'm in Drop C and playing the intro correctly, why does it sound nothing like the artist? Does the gear make much difference?

I own three guitars (two are rubbish) and are in Drop C, D standard and standard.

Thanks.

If you are doing everything correctly, I'm going to say you need to intonate your guitar. With the help of an electronic tuner It's quite simple. Tune your guitar as you normally would, being In this case to Drop C. Once It Is correctly tuned, and I must state how Important it is to double check your accuracy. To then intonate, start with the lowest string and hold down that string on the 12th fret. What does your tuner read? It should be the same as whatever It should be for Drop C. If It Is different, most guitars on the bridge have screws to tighten or loosen a spring in which adjusts the tuning of the intonation. They are not the two screws to raise or lower your strings, but you will know because there will be six of them. You figure all that out for your particular guitar model and repeat the step for every string going from low to high. Also, when you're done Intonating your guitar is no longer going to be tightly tuned and you will have to re-tune it, after that check your intonation again... and repeat. Changing the tunings of your guitar often throw off the intonation.

|-/4-----4-5-4-------7-----------------...
|------7-------7-5-4---5---4h5-7-5-4-5-...

What does the /4 mean? How do I play the /4 ?

it's a slide.You slide in to fret 4, from lets say 3. Tab's generally have a symbols, letters, which are explained at the start of the tab like, p=pulloff, h= hammer-on, s=slide, b=bend

it's a slide.You slide in to fret 4, from lets say 3. Tab's generally have a symbols, letters, which are explained at the start of the tab like, p=pulloff, h= hammer-on, s=slide, b=bend
Thanks.

Where does the slide start from in the above tab? Thanks.

Why doesn't it have fret three on the tab before the slide?

Maybe the tab is wrong:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bullet_for_my_valentine/say_goodnight_tab.htm

Same thing here:

Why doesn't it say where to begin the slide?

|----------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------7----------|
|--------------------------------------------7-(7)---------|
|--------------------------------------/-9-----------9-----|

It probably doesn't say where to begin the slide because it's probably done to quickly to know. In the first one it's probably from 2 to 4, and in the second tab it's probably 7 to 9

It isn't specific. In this case it's just a little slide, very brief, it is not meant to very defined I guess. Not as much as the actual note slid into, that's for sure.

It probably doesn't say where to begin the slide because it's probably done to quickly to know. In the first one it's probably from 2 to 4, and in the second tab it's probably 7 to 9

Why is there one 7 in a bracket? What does this mean?

Thanks. :)

D||--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
F||--------7-------7---------7/8-7/8-------7-------7-------------------------|
C||--------x-------x---------x-x-x-x-------x-------x-------------------------|
G||--------5-------5---------5/6-5/6-------5-------5-------------------------|
C||-0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0-0---------0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0-0--5b--------------|

How do I mute the 4th string?

What the brackets mean below?

|------------------|
|---3---------[7]--|
|---0-----[5]------|
|---2--------------|
|---3--------------|
|------------------|

Why is there one 7 in a bracket? What does this mean?

Thanks. :)

In this case it means that the 7 in the 3rd fret rings on as you play the 7 in 2nd fret (Which makes sense as we have a b minor here).

In your example, where you have to mute the 4th string - If you know how to play barre chords, this is a similar technique. You press down 5th string and slighty touch (no pressing, just touching) the 4th string, so that it does a muted, metallic noise. You then have this nice octave sound.

For the [5] [7] I have to guess, as there is no clear standard in how to write tabs - anyway, these seem like natural harmonics to me (I hope you know how to play these?)

In this case it means that the 7 in the 3rd fret rings on as you play the 7 in 2nd fret (Which makes sense as we have a b minor here).

In your example, where you have to mute the 4th string - If you know how to play barre chords, this is a similar technique. You press down 5th string and slighty touch (no pressing, just touching) the 4th string, so that it does a muted, metallic noise. You then have this nice octave sound.

For the [5] [7] I have to guess, as there is no clear standard in how to write tabs - anyway, these seem like natural harmonics to me (I hope you know how to play these?)
Hi, thanks for the reply. I need instructions on how to do pinch harmonics and alternative picking. Is a pinch harmonic when you pluck a string with the pick and your thumb at the same time?

Thanks.

Play it both ways and see what sounds best.

You must be very very new at guitar. I would say you really need to google and read up more on tab, how to read it, and what all the symbols mean. Different people and publishers write out tab in different ways, but there is usually a key at the beginning. I really like the way all my Japanese tabs are written out over everything else I have seen. Weird at first but makes more sense once you figure out what they mean.

Youtube will answer all your questions about how to do different techniques with video and audio. Us explaining it is not going to help much.

|-------------------------------------|
|-2t5t12-2t5t14-2t5t12-2t5t14-2t5p2~--|
How do I play this?

2 - point finger, 5 - pinky hammer, 12 - tapping (google it it's easy)