Tabula Rasa

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Arvo Part, Estonian contemporary classical "minimilist" composer created this masterpiece. After listening to this, nothing else can follow. For some reason, at this time of yr this recording just seems to dominate my listening. If you have'nt heard this, I strongly suggest you do before you die. For those who have heard this, give me your thoughts?:err:

One of my favorite pieces of all time. That whole ECM disc is filled with gems, my favorite of all probably being the version of Fratres for piano and violin. So... majestic heh.

I tend to prefer the first half of Tabula Rasa more than the silentio part. I have read so many reviews favoring the opposite, but for me the second half is just slowly fading away from the surreal first half. I can't say for sure what it is i like about it... Part certainly had a way of making the silence as important as what's actually played, the lingering notes slowly disappearing into the room. My favorite piece of his though is Litany, for sure. The first time i heard that piece my eyes nearly fell out of my head. The crescendo near the end is unmatched in any music, EVER for me.

Mumble, yes completely agree with everything you said. The silence between notes is as brilliant as anything else this piece conveys. I love every piece on here, but, Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten, absloutely moves me unlike any thing I've listened to. For me, it's like pulsating to and through to another spiritual realm. ECM, did an excellent job mastering this, it has a very warm, organic feel to it.

Mumble, yes completely agree with everything you said. The silence between notes is as brilliant as anything else this piece conveys. I love every piece on here, but, Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten, absloutely moves me unlike any thing I've listened to. For me, it's like pulsating to and through to another spiritual realm. ECM, did an excellent job mastering this, it has a very warm, organic feel to it.

heh in my opinion, ECM was MADE for Arvo Part's music. Every one of the ECM CD's sounds amazing. Crystal clear, just so PURE in tone. I actually own (i think) every single ECM Arvo Part disc... 9 of em anyway. Simply superb.

Have you guys heard the Naxos release of Passio? How does it compare to the ECM one?

I haven't heard that one to be honest, but i have heard other naxos recordings of Part's music, and those simply pale in comparison to the ECM releases. ECM has better performances, and MUCH better sound quality. I only own one non-ECM Part release, and it's noticably less enjoyable (that one is a release with 8 different versions of Fratres on it).

I can't be certain about the Passio one, but i think it's a safe bet to say if you're thinking of picking it up, try to find the ECM release.

My favorite piece of his though is Litany, for sure. The first time i heard that piece my eyes nearly fell out of my head. The crescendo near the end is unmatched in any music, EVER for me.

Litany is such an effective and profound piece. The two works for string orchestra that follow it on the ECM recording, Psalom and Trisagion, are very somber pieces and easily make that my favorite recording of Part.

Gidon Kremer's recording of Fratres and Tabula Rasa on ECM are classic. Gil Shaham's recording of the version of Fratres for violin, percussion and string orchestra on Deutsche Grammaphon is less bleak and a little more romantic, but it's also very notable. On the same DG cd, there are also recordings of Tabula Rasa and Symphony no.3. Both are pretty good, but the Gidon Kremer recording of Tabula Rasa is on another level. Symphony no.3 was composed prior to the transition in Part's music in the mid 70s and is of a rather different (and perhaps less spiritual) character than the other works but it is enjoyable. I would certainly recommend this DG recording over the Naxos one.

Those who want even more minimalistic pieces could check out the ECM recording titled Alina which has three slightly different recordings of Für Alina and two recordings of Spiegel im Spiegel.

Part has become more popular than other contemporary composers, perhaps due to the fact that his music from the 70s on has been less demanding on the listener than others'. But I could see someone getting into Part and Gorecki first and then going on to check out other contemporary composers such as Penderecki, Schnittke, Ligeti and Reich.

Litany is such an effective and profound piece. The two works for string orchestra that follow it on the ECM recording, Psalom and Trisagion, are very somber pieces and easily make that my favorite recording of Part.

Gidon Kremer's recording of Fratres and Tabula Rasa on ECM are classic. Gil Shaham's recording of the version of Fratres for violin, percussion and string orchestra on Deutsche Grammaphon is less bleak and a little more romantic, but it's also very notable. On the same DG cd, there are also recordings of Tabula Rasa and Symphony no.3. Both are pretty good, but the Gidon Kremer recording of Tabula Rasa is on another level. Symphony no.3 was composed prior to the transition in Part's music in the mid 70s and is of a rather different (and perhaps less spiritual) character than the other works but it is enjoyable. I would certainly recommend this DG recording over the Naxos one.

Those who want even more minimalistic pieces could check out the ECM recording titled Alina which has three slightly different recordings of Für Alina and two recordings of Spiegel im Spiegel.

Part has become more popular than other contemporary composers, perhaps due to the fact that his music from the 70s on has been less demanding on the listener than others'. But I could see someone getting into Part and Gorecki first and then going on to check out other contemporary composers such as Penderecki, Schnittke, Ligeti and Reich.
Agreed. and thanx,derbeder for the informative words on Part. I do own Alina, and is a truly fantasic work, but Tabula Rasa will always be my favorite.

I haven't heard that one to be honest, but i have heard other naxos recordings of Part's music, and those simply pale in comparison to the ECM releases. ECM has better performances, and MUCH better sound quality. I only own one non-ECM Part release, and it's noticably less enjoyable (that one is a release with 8 different versions of Fratres on it).

I can't be certain about the Passio one, but i think it's a safe bet to say if you're thinking of picking it up, try to find the ECM release.
Damn, I have the Naxos one!

Part's work has the advantage of actually being both coherent and self-contained, unlike several of his contemporaries (notably Glass) who never really outgrew their work as soundtrack composers.

Litany was used in the audio test, which i suspect might have been the inspiration for this thread. I also used it near the finale of my "Passion Immortal" compilation.
No, Mumble. The inspiration was purely about the composition Tabula Rasa and it's beautiful brilliance. And to be honest, and I'm sure no one cares, but in my constant attempt to being truthful, as this work dominates my player this time of year(but,should be appreciated any time) was the absolute glory of "making love" to an "Ebony Goddess" while this was playing. Need I say more? I didn't think so.