Taking up Bass

WarHead

Handful of Nothing
Aug 27, 2001
Virginia
Anyone have any input or suggestions on some basses?

I was jamming on an Ibanez 5 string SR405 at guitar center and was really digging it.

Well...the I've known about that movie for about 4 years at least....hmmm,.,...,I think it was made 2 years ago but had problems getting a distributer that would tolerate the "sadistic violence" that it contained. :Spin:

If you're looking for decent quality at a cheap price would suggest you try to get your hands on one of those old Fernadez basses or check out Washburn. For more expensive basses, Yamaha and Spector.

I have one suggestion: Don't overlook a Peavey Foundation bass, especially with a maple neck. I have a beautiful white five-string Foundation I use for recording (I am a 6-string guitarist by trade) and my former bass player (a twelve year veteran player) offered me various trades and money for my bass, but I wouldn't give it up.

Bryant

just like i tell every bassist just starting off. a very good choice will to get an ESP. if your budget is low get the LTD b-50. its a very good starting bass for a low price. and will last you alot longer than the ibanez will

Fender or Ibanez is where I would start, good quality in their entry-level lines.

I picked up my bass today and was trying to write a bass-line for an acoustic riff I had written and it made me think of this post. Everyone on this post is wrong including me. : ( One of the most wonderful things about guitars, be it electric, acoustic, bass or whatever, is that most are made of organic materials, namely wood. Even the mass-produced, lower quality instruments will play and sound a bit different than the one made before or after it. That's not to say that you shouldn't take the recommendations to heart, but even as a beginner, you should easily be able to tell a difference between instruments. Pick one that feels comfortable strapped on you and has a tone you like.

Bryant

I use the same bass that you tried warhead....It's my workhorse. Inbetween practices I use it the most when I'm to timid to take out my spector. It's great at what it does for the price. If you like it I would get it and I'll testify to how good it is until I'm blue in the face. :)

Best of luck........

-Anthony

After fiddling with a bass at a music store, like you did, I decided to start playing the bass (less than a month ago.) I purchased an acoustic/electric bass by JBP.

The first song I learned was Money by Pink Floyd.

I am currently learning how to play Bouree by Jethro Tull and Pigs (3 Different Ones) by Pink Floyd.

My new all electric Washburn is due to arrive today - OH YEAH!

for a nice beginer bass id check out ESP. they are of good quality at a decent price. if you are really strapped for cash, check out yamaha.

if and when you get really into bass, check out WARWICK (drools over a dolhpin pro I 5 string)

i love my BC Rich NJ series warlock as well. it is also a 5 string. i love it and would never give it up.well... maybe for that warwick dolhpin
~gR~

ive been playing bass since about christmas, i found a good learner (only 4 string though) to be a Vintage Active 4 string, it cost just under £200 from the local guitar shop,
it duz all i need to learn..