5 String Basses

Bearded Axe

Feb 20, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I've been playing a 4 string for the past year and I was dead set on getting a 4 String Warlock, but then I played an Ibanez SR405 5 string and was blown away how much I enjoyed it. So basicly;

Anybody got any advice on 5 strings and how they sound in metal?

Bearded Axe said:
I've been playing a 4 string for the past year and I was dead set on getting a 4 String Warlock, but then I played an Ibanez SR405 5 string and was blown away how much I enjoyed it. So basicly;

Anybody got any advice on 5 strings and how they sound in metal?
I picked up a 5 string very similiar to the one you checked out and I haven't looked back. I play a combo of progmetal and fusion and I needed something that could put some low end to my seven string shenannigans. I think the 5/6 string is pretty prevelent in progmetal and it definitley adds to the sonic range of the music. The only thing you should prolly be concerned with is recording a 5 or 6 string bass can be pretty tricky and it usually calls for a multiband compressor to keep the sound nice and even. Other than that I say go for it and rattle the neighbor's windows.
:devil:

It can be used to a great effect in metal..you just have to experiment and see how you can use it. You just gotta play the fuck outta it and create some killer basslines!

It's also great because if you ever happen to play with a band that tunes down, it makes it WAY easy to play with them because you have that lower range already there to use.

I've been playing a 5-string since before they were trendy ;) and as MetalChef says, you gotta just play to figure out when best to use the lower range. If you try something and it sounds bad, don't do it. :D

I play 5 string and I play brutal death..
I think everything is ok if your amp gives you selective and nice lows..
My band is tuned to C# but I use standart 5 string tuning: BEADG and its All OK..
Ibanez 5strings (also Spectors and ESP) have nice slim necks perfect for fingerstyle/picking (for me also good for slapping, but some people prefer wider ones) so you can play fast... damn fast :D