TALEstudios RateMyMix

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
So I figured I'd be smart and condense all my ratemymix threads into this one by simply calling it the TALEstudios RateMyMix.

I produce only digitally. I've never had the priveledge of proper audio engineer classes, so I'm not into the analog stuff. Although the room I use is no studio it's small and I don't have all the equipment.
I use Cubase 5, recently upgraded from Cubase 4.
Superior drummer, Steven Slate samples
and Pod Farm
In my opinion, the best equipment for one's money.

Anyway, lets start with my early stuff
My Band's First EP
This is actually quite recent, but I am learning so quickly that a November 2011 release to me seems really old! I think it's good, but I am aware of some major flaws surrounding it!

I've recently produced a Joey Sturgis - esque band "Hopes Anchored" who was going for the Emmure sound. They said they wanted a distinct bass drum sound, so it was then where I found a bass drum unique enough for their recording.

Now I am coming out with an 8 song album on April 13, for my band Nemora!
Here's a slightly mixed bonus track from that new album, "Equinox of the Gods"

I'd love some feedback, critique, and honest remarks about my journey as an audio engineer. All of us are on their way of developing their own special sound, and it is here where I will display my progress toward the better mixes of my future!

Thanks guys and stay metal :headbang:

PS> if you dig it, please like my band on Facebook!

Your first EP (Worke). the impact during 0:37-0:38 sound so flat and thin. not strong enough. the overall mix is not well balanced. Every tracks instruments are fighting each others. (espeacially the synth, EQ them more)

Fortunately as music engineers as we progress, we begin to even amaze ourselves with how much we learn in short periods of time.
That EP was released in November, and thankfully, my new productions don't have those problems.

Just released this single yesterday. Very proud of the mix.
Free Download

Also, if you want a satisfying snare, please listen to some of the other bands I am producing.
This is a rough vocalless mixdown of a band that was with me last Monday.
Pathkeeper is the name of the band.

I hope this thread serves its' purpose as demonstrating the progression of my skills as I continue.
I'm very passionate about this stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys just checkin in for some input.

This is the first time I've ever mixed something I would consider "Pop/Punk"
It's also my first go at it, and there's still quite a bit of work to do...
But all things considered I want some opinions!
Have at it!

Boink!

Seriously improving my mix skills.
This next one is with the help of strictly subtractive EQ. Nothing at all added here.
Makes for my most clear, punchy mix yet.
The Bb Groove