Taproot Similarity to Alice in Chains

hendrixfreak

Aug 30, 2002
Downey, California USA
Visit site
Before all you hardcore AIC fans start rippin into me for comparing the lameness that is Taproot to AIC, all i'm talkin bout is the vocals and i'm a huge Chains fan too. I was sittin at a Prong show the other night in Hollywood and they were playing the newest Taproot CD over the PA in between sets and it's completely remarkable how much their singer sounds like Layne. Take a listen and check it out. Keep in mind I Hate Taproot, but the vocals are great until he starts screaming. I definitely wouldn't mind if he hooked up with Cantrell and sung a few old chains songs with him on tour.

Has anyone else noticed this similarity?

I haven't noticed this. I heard Taproot a few years ago and thought nothing special. I saw them at Ozzfest and thought they were horrible live. The screaming is definitely nothing like Layne's vocals, and I don't recall his clean vocals being anything like Layne's...definitely don't have the power and emotion.

By the way, AIC > Taproot. ;)

I don't think in any way does Steve Richards sound like Layne. Taproot used to be a rap group, and Steve was a rapper, then they tried metal, and Steve screamed. Now they're like. . .straight up rock, and Steve tries clean vocals.
I don't hate Taproot, I actually respect them, but their vocals aren't anything great, nothing compared to AIC.

-Greg