Tastes on Guitar fizz

One of the key things that gets overlooked when low-passing, is the slope. Most EQs default at 18 dB. I prefer to use a less aggressive slope; either 12 or 6 dB. By using a more gentle slope, I can be a little more aggressive with what frequency I set my low-pass at without it crushing all of the high-end.

That!!

A LOT of times I don't even low pass - only notch out annoying frequencies. When I do, I rarely even use 12dB.

A LOT of times I don't even low pass - only notch out annoying frequencies. When I do, I rarely even use 12dB.

Yeah you can get rid of the extreme fizz with mic combination/positioning, I already tried that several times but I don't master that way of doing at all myself.

One of the key things that gets overlooked when low-passing, is the slope. Most EQs default at 18 dB. I prefer to use a less aggressive slope; either 12 or 6 dB. By using a more gentle slope, I can be a little more aggressive with what frequency I set my low-pass at without it crushing all of the high-end.

+1

Last edited:
Yeah you can get rid of the extreme fizz with mic combination/positioning, I already tried that several times but I don't master that way of doing at all myself.

Yeah, that too. I don't master that art either.
The thing is that I find "full bandwidth" guitars very pleasant sometimes. It depends on the context and the source cab. Take the guitar tone from American Idiot for example: there's a lot of fizz going on and one could easily filter that out, but I don't think it's necessary.

Reactions: Phil_ocean
Contrary to my previous post, I recently found a thread where Dan Korneff mentions using a 6db low-pass that just starts to drop off around 5kHz... from what I can tell, that means parking the filter at 9 or 10kHz. I feel like it kills the whistlefizz much more than you'd expect, without removing all your top end.