Ways to get rid of guitar amp fizz

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
I'm not talking about eqing a recorded track, i'm talking about reducing amp fizz at the source. Seems like a problem many guitarists have to deal with.

I decided to download curve eq and see what some of my recorded stuff looks like compared to other recorded tracks. I noticed that nearly every track i compared my guitar recording's to, the curve eq would always show a major reduction around 6.3 khz. I never noticed how fizzy my guitar tracks sounded until then! all of the tracks were recorded with my 6505+ head.

so i came up with a solution. i got my boss gt-8 and put it in the effects loop (putting it in front of the amp would only eq the guitars frequency, not get rid of distorted amp fizz), used it's parametric equalizer to eq out 6.3hz. while this did help it sound less fizzy and better, it made it sound kind of "fake" in a way. perhaps due to the digital eq or buffering from effects processor.

I've never re-biased my amp, and tubes are mesa brand which i hear are just re-labeled cheap tubes of some kind. What do you guys suggest i try?

Could be a lot of things unfortunately. Speakers, guitar / pickups, tubes, cables, settings etc. If you like the EQ but not the digital effect you could just get a simple EQ pedal. I'd try a different cab if you can first...

Yeah, it's a really tough balance to strike, cuz there are different frequencies that can all cause different sounds that are all colloquially known as "fizz", and some are more important than others - IMO the essential ones are the ones that come from a mic's proximity to the dustcap (not totally on, but I'm really liking the 57 50% on/50% off or even 70% on/30% off, on V30s of course :D) as well as that saturated fizz on palm mutes from having enough gain; people say lower the gain, but then it often sounds undergained and the palm mutes have zero sustain, which is a sound I LOATHE (again though, all about striking the right balance). So really, I think the best thing to is is selective post-eq, or maybe a better eq than the GT8 in the loop, but I'm not certain of that. And of course, some amps are more prone to fizz than others, and I'm thinking the 2 ch. Rectifier is up there with 'em! :erk: (6k is my archnemesis)

cab is a avatar 4x12 with avatar's hellatone 60's (vintage 30's). i do have a mesa recto cab on layaway at guitar center, that should yield better results!

i think any kind of eq in the effects loop is just a way around the problem without solving it, however something like the boss ge-7 would probably give better sounding results than the digital eq.

yeah marcus, i know you have been talking about the fizz in your dual rec that seems to be around roughly the same frequency range. i've heard having the volume low on particular amps makes fizz more noticeable, solution being crank it up or get a power attenuator like the hotplate. i've also hear biasing the amp higher with reduce fizz to a degree. apparently the 6505+ has an easily adjustable bias.

I'm just aiming to get the best sound i can from the amplifier i have