I just figured out how to get rid of the guitar fizz by accident

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I was playing around with my wah pedal (Vox V847A) and it's a terrible piece of shit if you ask me, one of the worse wah pedals I've used. But there was one really good thing about it that I noticed by accident: when I turned the pedal position to the max, it gave me this REALLY sharp and fucking annoying presence boost that brought up the fizz. Then I figured out, what the heck and started dialing my amp just a bit and tried to get rid of the fizz, and for some reason, I got 95% rid of it. Then I turned off the wah and to my surprise, it sounded pretty good in the room and then I tried to mic it up, and I didn't get that annoying 1-4khz area fizz that is usually the problem with my cabinet. And it seems that the amp settings turned out WAY different than what I would normally use (clockface settings: gain 12, bass 12, mids 7, treble 5, presence 3 and resonance 9). Also to get even more rid of the fizz, I used a graphic EQ pedal and cut out the 1.6 and 3.2khz and boosted back the volume to get rid of the fizz almost completely

So the final signal chain ended up as:

Guitar - Boss NS2 - Ibanez TS9 - (WAH, turned off) - Boss GE7 - Marshall MF350 - Cabinet - SM57

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/mf_test.mp3 (no post processing of any kind... Sorry for the atrocious playing, I'll make a better clip tomorrow or some other day)

Works okay for rhythm tone, for lead tone I would use totally different kind of sound.