TDWP Zombie EP tone help

Firstinlastout

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2013
Going out on a limb to ask anyway but for quite some time (QUITE), one of the biggest inspirations to me as such in this genre is the zombie EP for too many reasons to even state. anyway.. was just wondering if I am to go on my ways in attempting to achieve an at least rough guide to this tone would anyway be able to tell me if the guitar chain would just be the usual Screamer, Cali etc etc...? I know in pod tones can be processed 10000000's of different ways but I'd still appreciate it if anyone has any guidance for what I am looking for:)(Y)
THANKS GUYS!

Personally, I think the cali diamond, treadplate cab and condenser microphone combination SUX! The only good aspect of this combination is the bottom end, it is really tight. Don't get me wrong, I have heard plenty of great results from people using this combination or a similar list of components but it requires a lot of post processing. Despite the tight bottom end, the condenser scoops way too much 650-900Hz and accentuates some nasty top end (Specific to these components), the tread-plate has this awful ring around 4.3K, the top end in general with this combination leaves a lot to be desired.

Everyone jumps to this preset as a default setting just because joey used it once (I don't know what album but by the sound of it, reckless and relentless) and end up producing a cold, scooped out feculent ridden guitar tone. This combo sounded good on Joey's mix in an exclusive context, with a particular player and a particular set of components.

Other people may disagree, but I think if you try to recreate a particular sound you will probably just end up making a mess. You are dealing with a completely different instrument, outboard signal chain and guitar player.

I would suggest to read about setting up your guitar and DI signal, there is lots of great info on this forum. I would just set up a tube screamer in Pod Farm and go through every amp model there is until you find the tone you think sounds best, then go through all the cabs and microphones. Trust your ears, hopefully some of the other members on this forum can add to this, there are some really talented people here who all have their own methods and sounds!

An audio clip of your progress would be great!

You may want to Tyra different route than pod farm. I have achieved some gnarly results using the tse808 recto and gods cab impulses. They are all free as well.

You may want to Tyra different route than pod farm. I have achieved some gnarly results using the tse808 recto and gods cab impulses. They are all free as well.

this!

But also, Criminal Head has a solid tone too. The Cali Plate has a good tone for the specific time and place of 2008-2011. But it's a new era. Impulses are the way to go. PodFarm started out amazing to me, the best tones I could come up with. But in the end you start to realize how digital it sounds.

If you do use pod farm I would still recommend an outside can impulse. Redwirez, catharsis, or gods cab. Look around though and expire eat to find what you like best.

Impulses are just EQ and reverb. AKA, presets!!! Nothing wrong with POD farm, you just need to use EQ.

Would someone explain what they are? I always thought that an impulse response were commonly cabinet simulation? I may be wrong lol

After some reading i can confirm that an IR is indeed an EQ coloration and convolution reverb that are used to recreate a particular piece of hardware and / or space.

But that's not ALL it is you know? It is basically a brief impulse of the acoustic characteristics of a space or room. Captured by a sine sweep of all the (audible) frequencies in a room and recording it. The natural reverb of the room is recorded, yes. Also EQ can be added afterwards, yes.

I agree, I guess it's a viable option if you think the cabinets in Pod Farm aren't enough to work with. I just personally don't have any major issues with the quality of pod farm. I use and have heard really great results from a few different amp sims other than the cali diamond. BTW your Pensado quote is the best haha, when does he say that - is it an into the lair episode?

I never understood how people would prefer free amp sims to pod farm, they all sounded harsh and limited to me :/ I dont really use the joey "preset" i think it sounds a little to weak so i normally the puppet master amp through a celestion v30 with the american classic and a tube screamer. But i might experiment with impulses, i just want a different impulse loader cuz they just seem to sounds awful when i use them lol it would be cool to know what other pod combinations people use besides the typical cali/threadplate/condensor combo.

Well as usual the podfarm questions always come back to... OPINION AND EXPERIMENTATION. Just mess around with all the recommended ideas and make something your own. You have a great foundation to make at the least a decent tone. Here is a Pod Link you may like. http://line6.com/customtone/tone/207256/

YEA HAHA I posted the wrong one. Probably the worst tone I have. It sounds super fake :/

I think my favorite amp sim is the X50. it sounds so much like a real 6505 that its unbeliveable. Also im a big fan of Recabinet. I got it on sale and it kicks ass. Plus you can use 3rd party IR's with it. The dynamics knob is a really cool feature too

I really like the second tone (i guess it could use some fizz reduction with some narrow eq cuts but I'm being picky). But I didnt really understand what's in it lol did you use multiple amps on pod farm? in what impulse pack was the impulse if I may so inquire? :rofl: are you using the typical cali/condensor patch on the first one? Cool riff btw