Teacher at my school mentions Powerfest to me...

Knulla

Nov 6, 2005
Chicago
www.myspace.com
Got to school today, and I was wearing the Martyr shirt I bought at Powerfest. I went upstairs, and a teacher walks up to me and says "Did you see those guys at Chicago Powerfest?" I talked to him for a very short time about it.

He said he was there and he knows "the guys who run Powerfest."

Yesterday, me and my friend were walking down the hall, and he commented on my friend's Death shirt.

So, guys who run Powerfest, do you know a guy who teaches at Plainfield North High School? I didn't get his name or what he teaches. It was pretty strange, I never expected any of the teachers at my school to be metal fans. Pretty awesome if you ask me. :headbang::kickass::headbang::kickass::kickass::kickass:

I think Ken Luther sometimes rumbles with people who teach english... Ken, did you beat up anyone at Powerfest? :lol:

Almost! I heard someone at the bar talking smack about Chaucer, so I had to take him outside. I thought I could handle him, but he hit me in the head with a hardback copy of Middlemarch and knocked me cold. I'll get him next time.

Ken

Why is it so strange for a teacher to like metal? It always cracks me up when someone is like...that guy is a doctor and likes this or that guy is a cop and listens to this.

maybe it is because growing up we have this thing that once you are an adult you have no interest or hobbies but now since we are that age you see that isnt true.

dont know why...but this thread cracks me up. I know lots of people who have very important jobs and have odd interest or hobbies or listen to different music. The strangest to me was this skinhead I met at a show years back and we got to talking and he worked in the labs at Argon labs I think out in the burbs as a lab researcher. If you saw him oyu would think that he was a thug but he was a very well spoken and really nice guy. just had the skin head look going.

Yeah, it is weird.
I am a CPA, so whenever I tell people I am into metal, I get LOTS of weird looks.

Ironically, I found someone at my work who is into black metal.
Never in a million years would I have guessed it though.

This one guy I know had the old bass player from Zoetrope as a teacher.

Yeah, it is weird.
I am a CPA, so whenever I tell people I am into metal, I get LOTS of weird looks.

Being into metal *and* teaching math are TWO great ways to bring a conversation to a standstill at a party.

"So, what do you teach?"
"Math."
<Blank look.> "Oh."
End of conversation.

"Oh, you have a radio show? What kind of music do you play?"
"Heavy metal."
<Blank look.> "Oh."
End of conversation.

It's like social quicksand. :)

Ken

Being into metal *and* teaching math are TWO great ways to bring a conversation to a standstill at a party.

"So, what do you teach?"
"Math."
<Blank look.> "Oh."
End of conversation.

"Oh, you have a radio show? What kind of music do you play?"
"Heavy metal."
<Blank look.> "Oh."
End of conversation.

It's like social quicksand. :)

Ken

thats funny, when ever I talk usually I get and "Oh"...end of conversation!
and that is about anything.

I taught 7 years of middle school Technology Education from '92-'99. Just as Knulla mentioned.. the kids really thought it was cool that I listened to metal.

I played my acoustic guitar and sang with 2 different groups of kids at our talent show. I think they recruited me because they were too chicken to sing. We played Creep by the Stone Temple Pilots and Cover Me by Candlebox. The group of kids that played STP with me were really good.

One time during ski club I shared the fact that I stage dove and was body surfing at the Pantera concert, (Vulgar Display tour). They were floored. Luckily I wasn't when I was surfing! Oh to be young and stupid again.

Teachers that listened to metal were quite rare... considering the fact that I was the only in my school district.