Why does Powerfest have to start on the day of finals?

When were you there Rycher?
I was there between 93 and 97.
In downtown Champaign, there used to be an independent record store called Village Green.
It was walking distance to the BLIND PIG.

When I was at U of I, Record Swap was ON Green Street. It is now in Urbana.

That area was never too big for metal.
It really surprises me that they have the Central, IL metalfest there each year.

It was always more of a punk / indie rock kind of town.

1998 and 2002.

That store wasn't called Record Breakers now that I think about it. It was Record Service or something like that. It closed in 2003 or 2004.

Yeah, I know the store you are talking about.
Ha! You were there right after I left.

Was the club Mabel's (above the arcade) still there?
I think it has since closed from what I hear.

I haven't been down there since the year the BEARS played in Champaign.

Mabel's was the club that was on the second floor of the building next to that store. I saw Stabbing Westward play there in a sold-out/over filled show from the front row in 1998. They closed the club a year after that and turned it into a sports-bar type place called Brothers.

I saw two Bears games there, and have managed to visit at least once a year - my brother and his wife have lived there since he graduated in 04. They live in St. Joe's, which is 10 minutes east of Champaign.

We broker the insurance for a lot of the tech companies that are housed in the new research facility by Assembly Hall.

Hahahaha....
St Joes!
One band I was in during my college years had practice space there. Talk about a town where time never moves. The only exciting thing there is the Dairy Queen!

Mabel's was a great place to play.
I saw a lot of great shows there too.
Jesus Lizard there was insane.
I am not a big fan of theirs but they put on an amazing live show.

last year, one of the guys in our room (lunar still) had finals like the monday after or something.

im not back in school till the fall, but my finals werent for a few more weeks after powerfest. those who've heard the horror story of will bozarth and i coming back from chicago (missing our flight and having to spend 26 hrs in ohare airport) know that after that and 6 hrs on a greyhound from philly to pittsburgh, i got back to my dorm around 2:30am and was in class five and a half hrs later. soo glad that's not going to be the case this time around.

last year, one of the guys in our room (lunar still) had finals like the monday after or something.

im not back in school till the fall, but my finals werent for a few more weeks after powerfest. those who've heard the horror story of will bozarth and i coming back from chicago (missing our flight and having to spend 26 hrs in ohare airport) know that after that and 6 hrs on a greyhound from philly to pittsburgh, i got back to my dorm around 2:30am and was in class five and a half hrs later. soo glad that's not going to be the case this time around.

dear god!!!! 26 hours at the airport. that would be a nightmare.

juuust a little.

basically, the train from mokena to ohare got us there like 15 minutes too late to check into our flight back to philly so we got put on standby. we wait and wait and hope and hope there will be seats open and wait for about 5 flights that are all over-booked until around 9 that evening (after 12 hrs in the airport) we ask the customer service people wtf is going on. they say that literally every flight going anywhere on the east coast is overbooked by about 10 people because of all the college kids coming back from spring break. so we have to pay $200 for 2 confirmed tickets to philly, sleep in the airport, and finally manage to fly out at 11am that morning.

it sucked.

granted powerfest was one of the best weekends of my life but ... yeah ...

we ran into a similar problem coming back from seattle seeing nevermore. granted it wasn't sleeping-in-an-airport bad, but... we don't have luck with airports.

That does indeed bite.
I spent about the same amount of time at LAX trying to get home from my honeymoon.

Oh, I guess I should mention that the date of the original return flight was Sept 12, 2001.

To say spending a full day at a MAJOR airport right after 9/11 was scary is quite an understatement.

God I hate flying.

the seattle flight wasn't as bad. we had a connecting flight from seattle to baltimore with a stop in arizona. we had about 30 min between when our flight from seattle landed and our flight to baltimore took off. so we're getting read to land at the arizona airport, we see the plane going down, almost touch the landing strip AND THEN START GOING UP AGAIN. will and i are kinda like "wtf?" and start panicking.
the pilot didnt know how to land the plane or some shit so it takes him another 15 min to circle the airport and land again. he makes an announcement that some of the people on the plane have really tight connecting flights and asks the majority of the passengers to stay seated to those people can leave first. will and i are in the back of the cabin. we're seated behind a fucking mexican soccer team who don't understand english and i guess everyone else on the plane was just an asshole because EVERYONE gets up, takes them 15 min to get theri stuff and get off. we're running through the terminal to get to our gate. we hear that our flight is now boarding at such and such gate. we barely make it to that gate - the gate in the announcement and on our tickets. the stewardess lady tells us we're just in time, not to worry ... then looks at our tickets and tells us that we're at the wrong gate.
sooo after we both kinda freak the fuck out, we go to customer service, they apologize for the inconvenience, we get a flight to baltimore that's leaving 2 hrs later and we're good. that, fortunately, was the end of that story.

oh yeah, and the chicago anf seattle trips are the only times i've ever been on a plane, too!! will says i'm just bad luck on planes.

Don't blame yourself, it's probably Will's fault :)

That happened to me too, where the plane touched down and then went right up.

There was a major rain and thunderstorm.
Just when the pilot touched he noticed the runway was NOT clear! Had he waited another couple seconds.........yeah, I would not be here to tell you the story....

Did I mention before I hated flying????

Hmm well it looks like I have no finals on Friday....but a nuclear engineering final at 8am Saturday. With Iced Earth starting at 10:30 thats going to be one late drive home down the 57 back to school. I probably just shouldn't go to sleep and go straight into studying and take the test.

it's because academia is pain - but we've all been brainwashed to feel we need it for self worth (at least that's my problem). You should always sleep before an exam. I have a sad undergrad physics tale to illustrate that point (don't worry - it's actually not worth telling, and whatever you're thinking of it probaby accurate). Can you not hoodwink a friend into driving back for you? Though, I usually find it easier to just drive myself to weeknight shows and count on the adrenelaine to get me through the next day of school =)

p.s. nice plug for Valpo - you should suggest that they add the non-interference of finals week with Powerfest to the admissions flier. :lol:

it's because academia is pain - but we've all been brainwashed to feel we need it for self worth (at least that's my problem). You should always sleep before an exam. I have a sad undergrad physics tale to illustrate that point (don't worry - it's actually not worth telling, and whatever you're thinking of it probaby accurate). Can you not hoodwink a friend into driving back for you? Though, I usually find it easier to just drive myself to weeknight shows and count on the adrenelaine to get me through the next day of school =)

p.s. nice plug for Valpo - you should suggest that they add the non-interference of finals week with Powerfest to the admissions flier. :lol:

Haha, I'm hoping it will be an easy one at least. its only nuclear engineering, not rocket science