ICED EARTH CONFIRMED FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2008

this isn't directed to you Ian but........
goddammit....the lineup is SOLID from top to bottom, there is not,
nor will there ever be any band on this festival that does not deserve
to be here, or placed where they are!!! just because you may only like
or think you will only like a few bands does not mean the lineup isn't solid
nor does it mean that in a festive environment, you may actually have
your preconceived opinions (for those who don't even give a band a
chance from the start) re-directed and learn that you may actually like
a band outside of your normal listening. to think for a minute that you
will like most of the bands on ANY festival and to say something isn't a
festival because you don't is fucking ludicrous!

the reason this is a FESTIVAL is because is crosses over into many
different areas of metal and gives many different fans the opportunity to
discover new bands, rediscover bands that may have fallen out of favor or
maybe just an opportunity to get out of the house, have some fun and check
out a variety of music in a live setting whether all of it is your cup of tea or
not...for a very reasonable price, which is the point!

it continually amazes me and really frosts my ass to watch a select few,
that have no clue about the industry or the scene, constantly try to
disparage us and insinuate that we have no fucking idea what the
hell we're doing.

this is the last i will be saying on any of this shit as well, the lineup and
the attendance will speak for itself.

With the general format of this fest changing over the years, many longtime Powerfest attendees want to THINK that this fest's lineup is "supposed" to be right up their alley, or right in line with their own musical tastes. I think a lot of people are expecting Tad Morose/Morgana Lefay/Nocturnal Rites type bands to be the sole focus year after year, and are disappointed when the lineup features only a few of "their" type of bands, and a whole bunch of assorted "other stuff". This diversity is actually part of what draws me to the fest every year, but I think -- much as it pains me to say so -- some people need to face the fact that this fest isn't exactly what they think it is, and if they can't handle the diversity, then perhaps they should leave well enough alone.

For my own part... I LOVE the prospect of seeing Iced Earth and (for example) As I Lay Dying share a stage. It sure beats seeing five power metal bands in a row.

With the general format of this fest changing over the years, many longtime Powerfest attendees want to THINK that this fest's lineup is "supposed" to be right up their alley, or right in line with their own musical tastes. I think a lot of people are expecting Tad Morose/Morgana Lefay/Nocturnal Rites type bands to be the sole focus year after year, and are disappointed when the lineup features only a few of "their" type of bands, and a whole bunch of assorted "other stuff". This diversity is actually part of what draws me to the fest every year, but I think -- much as it pains me to say so -- some people need to face the fact that this fest isn't exactly what they think it is, and if they can't handle the diversity, then perhaps they should leave well enough alone.

For my own part... I LOVE the prospect of seeing Iced Earth and (for example) As I Lay Dying share a stage. It sure beats seeing five power metal bands in a row.

There is no one here saying that it should be all power metal. Just metal. This stuff that is passing for metal is crap. Plain and simple. I love diverse line ups. I am very open minded actually when it comes to metal but I can smell crap a mile away. My taste are all over the place. I am probably one of the few people here who gets into a new band each week probably. If yu could see my CD collection you would be surprised. I just have high standards.

this isn't directed to you Ian but........
goddammit....the lineup is SOLID from top to bottom, there is not,
nor will there ever be any band on this festival that does not deserve
to be here, or placed where they are!!! just because you may only like
or think you will only like a few bands does not mean the lineup isn't solid
nor does it mean that in a festive environment, you may actually have
your preconceived opinions (for those who don't even give a band a
chance from the start) re-directed and learn that you may actually like
a band outside of your normal listening. to think for a minute that you
will like most of the bands on ANY festival and to say something isn't a
festival because you don't is fucking ludicrous!

the reason this is a FESTIVAL is because is crosses over into many
different areas of metal and gives many different fans the opportunity to
discover new bands, rediscover bands that may have fallen out of favor or
maybe just an opportunity to get out of the house, have some fun and check
out a variety of music in a live setting whether all of it is your cup of tea or
not...for a very reasonable price, which is the point!

it continually amazes me and really frosts my ass to watch a select few,
that have no clue about the industry or the scene, constantly try to
disparage us and insinuate that we have no fucking idea what the
hell we're doing.

this is the last i will be saying on any of this shit as well, the lineup and
the attendance will speak for itself.

Amen brother!! I'm done too!! The time of justifying our decisions/actions is officially OVER!!

Yeah, I agree... I work nights, and I'd love to see the announcement posted before I leave for work at 2:45 (that's 1:45 central time) ;)

I work nights too. It sucks because anytime a show is on a week day, I have to take the day off work....I waste to many vacation days just to go see shows.

But I like being able to sleep in everyday.

I got into them in between SWTWC and Horror Show, but I was a sophmore in high school at that point and my parents didnt let me travel for concerts and shit I wasnt allowed to go to a concert til I was 17.

same boat i was in though i got into them right after barlow left that was when I was 17.
that and I finnaly went to concerts when I was 18 in the span of 1 month and 2 days i went to 4 concerts.
Still trying to make up for lost time.