TESTAMENT CONFIRMED FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2008

This may be starting to go off topic but I don't think we need a new thread for it.

Setting the Jackhammer way-back machine 10 years - a history lesson for the CPF juniors and a recap for the crusty ol' CPF seniors. ;)

- According to the Jan '97 IE, RJD had a show there on Jan 31, plus "Special Guests"
- Blackmore's Rainbow played March 2
- RJD w/MDB in April. Radakka is also listed on that April lineup. In fact, they're listed 2nd in the ad
- Disturbed is listed as playing on a Saturday night in May with Pivotman and Fuse
- A MDB headline event with T.O.N. and Blind Rage is also listed. That apparently happened (or not?) on May 15.
- Firehouse and Vixen, May 30

Other notable events that followed the Testament show

- The very next night, a Sunday all-ages show with Malevolent Creation, Oppressor, Avernus, and others.
- The following weekend (16th) Iced Earth played 2 shows - an early all ages set and a later one for the over 21 dinos.
- Some Sunday all-ages shows in September-October included: Macabre, Broken Hope, Mudvayne and Winterkill
- Gilby Clark, Slaughter and L.A. Guns were some of the national acts that came through in September-October.
- Notable November shows were Overkill w/others (Novembers Doom is listed)
- Suffocation w/Gorgasm
- And closing out the year in December: Fates Warning (5th), Obituary w/Disinter, Novembers Doom, et al (12th),
Warrant :p (19th), and a Manowar 2-night stand on the 27th and 28th.

I did not attend every one of these shows. These are merely entries listed in the Jackhammer ads in the IE that year. Scheduled events may or may not happen but this is a pretty good recap of what was a fairly decent year in the life of one of our bygone music venues. Not every weekend was a winner though. Naturally there were events and lineups that didn't strike the average rock/metal enthusiast's fancy, like ethnic events. There were also times when the venue closed for private parties. I believe the woman that owned the place tried other avenues to keep the place afloat but she eventually had to let it go. The 'here today gone tomorrow' club cycle and another one bites the dust.

Nowadays we take 'em where we can get 'em and I'm glad that there are club owners and promoters out there who are still willing to take the risks.

Good luck with Powerfest '08!

Ah well, I didn't attend the Manowar shows so I'll take your word for it. As mentioned in the previous post the list was compiled from ads in my archive of IEs, which date back to roughly 1992.

Well, yeah, though with no one else around, it throws out the whole "He who smelt it dealt it" debate....

Oh, and back on topic, TEST-A-MENT! TEST-A-MENT!

I have been spinning "Live At The Filmore" alot since the announcement. I haven't listened to that live album in quite some time.

having Testament will definetly be a great way to end the weekend. I was going to pick up "The Gathering" last weekend but with all the cool ass stuff haven got this past weekend...it was put back. maybe in the upcoming weeks I will get it, once I finish off buying all that new Pagan / Viking stuff Haven has in.

I know this will make me sound like a pussy, but I really love the acoustic re-dos on it, especially Return to Serenity. They really show that Chuck has an incredible clean singing voice as well.

Return to Serenity is one of my favorite songs from Testament.

They're re-releasing The Gathering & Demonic on 1/8. New liner notes, and supposedly a bonus track on The Gathering. Nice, since I've needed Demonic for a long time but never got around to getting it.

I also love the acoustic versions on Live at the Fillmore, specifically The Legacy. I just listened to that album last week and forgot how high Chuck's voice sounded back then. I'm used to the more aggressive, guttural Chuck since I listen to Live in London all the time.

I know this will make me sound like a pussy, but I really love the acoustic re-dos on it, especially Return to Serenity. They really show that Chuck has an incredible clean singing voice as well.

You should definitely check out James Murphy's first solo album "Convergence"...Chuck does the song "Touching The Earth", which is a tribute to James' grendfather who died, & it's probably the best I've ever heard Chuck sing on a slow song!

Plus, the ones that Devin Townsend sing are also fucking amazing!!!

You should definitely check out James Murphy's first solo album "Convergence"...Chuck does the song "Touching The Earth", which is a tribute to James' grendfather who died, & it's probably the best I've ever heard Chuck sing on a slow song!

Plus, the ones that Devin Townsend sing are also fucking amazing!!!

Excellent disc... love it so much, I bought it twice! Of course, the second time was 'cause someone stole the first copy, but still...