Teamwork?

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
Have some of you guys ever had/have a studio with a partner? I might be in this situation, given we are both short on cash to be shelling it out ourselves and we are good friends so trust shouldn't be an issue at all

My question is, how do you work this way? take turns doing a band/recording? Engineer with both guys present and then the band chooses who will mix it? alternate who mixes? or do you actually mix as a team? maybe bouncing mixes? using the other as a judge to what can make the mix better?

I did something similar about 10 years ago. One thing to be sure of, never have two guys working on the same mix seperately, unless you don't want it ever to be done. That being said, it's very valuable to have somebody who you can bounce ideas and mixes off of, especially if you have something that you have been working on for a long time and are losing perspective.

I have an assistant who can handle taking over for the day/night when I start to get body and/or ear fatigue. It's great to have someone else to lean on for help and to bounce ideas off. If you both want to be in CONTROL you may run into some problems, but just treat it as you would any amicable situation and delegate tasks between yourselves. Step on each others toes a little bit here and there and film it and you might have yourself a reality show :loco:

lol @ reality show

Yeah well In my case the other guy would be like my "pupil" although not like I'm really an expert at this stuff, but I do know much more than him. Thing is he is buying most of the equipment at least for now that I'm short on cash and having some other issues to pay, It's like a "you teach me how to use my stuff and I'll let you use it too" deal but we already spoke of working a homemade studio together, given the fact we get along very well I don't think it will be an issue really