tech help - email

redblueyes

wreathme
Apr 29, 2001
USA
redblueyes.50megs.com
For you computer genius.....
Can you explain to me HOW the hell am I getting a couple of mails that appear to be coming from MYSELF!????

Today is the second time. (I'm talking hotmail.) I got a "brutal rape email" including pic and it came from my own, exact email address. WTF??

Is there a way now that they are auto-inserting your own address on spam, is this normal now?? WTF is this??
And yes, I changed my password (just in case) after the first time it happened. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Hehe Hearse, it's not spam, it's an ANNOUNCEMENT from the mailer-daemon, and yes, it means that the mail hasn't been delivered. ;)

People usually want their e-mails delivered.

Originally posted by redblueyes
Can you explain to me HOW the hell am I getting a couple of mails that appear to be coming from MYSELF!????

Today is the second time. (I'm talking hotmail.) I got a "brutal rape email" including pic and it came from my own, exact email address. WTF??

Is there a way now that they are auto-inserting your own address on spam, is this normal now?? WTF is this??
And yes, I changed my password (just in case) after the first time it happened. Any ideas?
Thanks.

It's possible, and not even difficult, to falsify an e-mail. I don't know exactly how all the spammers get the huge lists of hotmail addresses (for example), but since they're able to do that, it's not difficult at all to put the receiver's address into the sender - field.

I wouldn't worry about it, myself.

Hehehehe, that's crazy. :) I have no idea why you're receiving it, Hearse. But as you can see, it's an .exe, you're just seeing it in ASCII.

Content-Type: audio/x-midi;
name=2001.exe
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's a trojan or something.

Hey Hearse,

You've probably got a virus. The same thing (with the same subject) was happening to my mother-in-laws computer. It's the W32.Klez.H@mm woem. Basically all it does it sends out shitloads of emails to everyone in your address book (but it puts someone else's name in the from field, so the recipient doesn't know that you were the one who sent it)...In your case, your getting email that wasn't delievered (maybe its trying to send email to addresses in your address books that don't exist anymore, so they bounce back) ...The only way I was able to figure it out is that I was getting a bunch of random email from people that I know my wife's mom knows but that I don't know....I have Norton Antivirus and it picked it up as a virus and deleted it...

As to fixing it, I was able to fix my mother in laws computer....

You need to download the virus removal tool from symantec's website...they have good instructions....you might have to run the program in Windows Safe Mode...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.h@mm.html

Let me know if this works, or sounds like what's going on...but from the sample message you sent...it sure looks similar...

Let me know if it works,

John