Ted's Voice on Seeds Of Hate

Frank

Electric Monk
Jan 24, 2003
Painesville, Ohio
Visit site
I've been pondering this post since shortly after Blink Of An Eye was released, but knowing that some people hate the kind of post this is, I've been reluctant to "put it out there".

Probably like many of Enchant fans, I've totally roached (is that how you spell it in this context?) my voice trying to sing along with Ted on just about any Enchant song.

But one song in particular sticks out because of the way I try to emulate Ted.

In Seeds of Hate, at right about 2:25, or just before for the whole line, "I guess I was afraid of you..", Teds voice seems a bit stressed. Well, after the first 20 or 30 times I listened to this song and sang along I noticed I was trying to put some "distortion" in my voice on purpose. Then I noticed that I was trying to copy Ted.

But what strikes me is that it completely fits the emotion at that particular point in the song. That part is so ingrained into my brain that it's an intrinsic part of the song, without it, it wouldn't be the same. Bleh... I'm blabbering...

This is not meant to be a "he screwed up thread", so please don't take it that way.

PS What happened to the Now Playing feature here?

I love singing Ted's parts too, problem is, my doctor says those high notes have actually now prevented me from having any more children...not necessarily a bad thing...

Frank said:
But what strikes me is that it completely fits the emotion at that particular point in the song. That part is so ingrained into my brain that it's an intrinsic part of the song, without it, it wouldn't be the same. Bleh... I'm blabbering...

This is not meant to be a "he screwed up thread", so please don't take it that way.

PS What happened to the Now Playing feature here?

You got it Frank --- EMOTION EMOTION EMOTION --- one of Enchant's signatures - from Ted's voice to Doug's guitar, to everyone in between....one of the reasons I love these guys so much! When music truly speaks to you, it is so incredibly powerful!!!:worship:

As for the NP disappearance, I had wondered that too.....so I left Mark a post on the Bug thread --- we'll see what he says! :)

Can't wait for Friday! :)

Cheers!

hey Frank,

I wish I could take credit for the forethought on that particular line. I mean, I always try to emotionally interpret the lyric but at that instance the 'stress' you hear is more physiological than anything. At that range it's challenging to go from the closed sounding vowel of 'guess' to the open sounding vowels that follow. Labrie has solved this dilemma by never singing a closed vowel on high notes but then the lyric suffers. I guess I find the lyric to be more important than the sound of my voice.

tedleonard said:
hey Frank,

I wish I could take credit for the forethought on that particular line. I mean, I always try to emotionally interpret the lyric but at that instance the 'stress' you hear is more physiological than anything. At that range it's challenging to go from the closed sounding vowel of 'guess' to the open sounding vowels that follow. Labrie has solved this dilemma by never singing a closed vowel on high notes but then the lyric suffers. I guess I find the lyric to be more important than the sound of my voice.
Thanks for the insight. I guess I have always assumed that words and sounds would have to be aligned with the vocal styles and capabilities of the vocalist, but I never realized it went down to that detail.

I do agree that lyrics are very important, but how they are presented is also important. I think you do that very well.

Again, thanks for the insight.