Telefunken USA mics video review (musical teaser)

Max Morton

Sep 21, 2008
UA, Kyiv
www.maxmorton.com
Hey! It's been a while since I last posted here. Didn't wanna reach a post #666 without a reason:)

So, I'm trying to get back to making video reviews and stuff like that for my Youtube channel, and one of these videos will be all about three Telefunken USA mics I was able to test. I tested them on vocals, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, snare, cymbals, etc.

I'll post the review in this topic as soon as I finish it, but right now I'm eager to know what you guys think about this little teaser:

You'll be surprised how unprocessed these guitars are. I absolutely loved AR-51 and AK-47 mkII.

UPDATED:
Here's the full review:

It's around 16 minutes long, so I made a simplified menu in the description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, brilliant tone on the acoustic! How are they setup? I watched a couple of times, but I cant get a full idea.

Wow, brilliant tone on the acoustic! How are they setup? I watched a couple of times, but I cant get a full idea.

I think he was testing two different mics honestly. both pointed at the guitar and as close together as he could get the capsules. Either that or he was doing a mid-side setup.

FWIW we had an AR70 in the studio (the stereo AR51) to compare to our vintage ELAM 251 and a pair of Soundelux 251. It did really well!

FANTASTIC mics that are close to the vintage sound but WAY cheaper. They are obviously going to be a little bit different but they really have the character. I've tested many other mics in the $1,200-$2,000 range and most of them fall flat against the u67's and the 251. The new Telefunkens are awesome.

Uh, thanks man! Sorry for the late reply.
The main mic was AR-51 (grey one). It's positioned against the 12-th fret, but turned towards the picking hand. Has a bit more bass and pick sound that way. Sounds fuller.

Now, the AK-47 MKII was positioned against the 12-th fret as well, but placed a bit higher. It was looking straight at the fretboard. AK-47 sounds very clear and airy, and I wanted it to capture a bit more of the strings tone without too much pick scratch.

AK-47 is 8 db quieter in the mix then the AR-51. Just makes a tone more "complete".

I think he was testing two different mics honestly. both pointed at the guitar and as close together as he could get the capsules. Either that or he was doing a mid-side setup.

FWIW we had an AR70 in the studio (the stereo AR51) to compare to our vintage ELAM 251 and a pair of Soundelux 251. It did really well!

FANTASTIC mics that are close to the vintage sound but WAY cheaper. They are obviously going to be a little bit different but they really have the character. I've tested many other mics in the $1,200-$2,000 range and most of them fall flat against the u67's and the 251. The new Telefunkens are awesome.

In the test itself I'll show how both mics sound in two different positions, playing the same lick. But here, in the intro, I just had as much fun as I could using them both to shape one whole tone.

And you're absolutely right, Telefunken did a great job with these new models. Not just clones, they have their own character! It's been less then a month since I bought my AR-51 and I'm already GASing for other models. Can't wait to test the Copperhead.

Great work on the review dude! I love the style of your videos and how you narrate them!

Just wish those mics where anywhere close my budget :lol:

Great work on the review dude! I love the style of your videos and how you narrate them!

Just wish those mics where anywhere close my budget :lol:

Thanks man! Uh, I'm working hard on my spoken voice, I'm still far from where I want to be. I'll get better:)

Mics - yeah, I hear you. I'd love to have a pair of AK-47's as overheads. But it's too slutty for me at the moment. But the shop made me a really fat discount as a thanks this review, so I just could not resist! I wanted a superb mic for recording my vocals on the second album. And now I got it. Recording with it now. Damn, now I need some fancy pre's and perhaps some hardware eq and compression. But even without it, I'm so happy with it's tone!