Tell me about Schecter guitars

cfh11

Apr 25, 2012
Boston, MA
basically, which ones are crap and which ones are good. all my 6 strings have passive pups and i am in the market for a used guitar with emgs mainly for recording. the schecters and ltds keep coming up as cheap options. i am pretty familiar with the ltds but know nothing about schecters. any of them worth buying? also any other brands i should consider for a cheap 6 string w/emgs?

Play both. They're both pretty similar pricewise/featurewise, you want to just find the neck and bridge that you like better.

Schecters are fantastic guitars. Stick to Made in Korea and you won't be disappointed.

Generally speaking, Schecter guitars have thicker necks than ESP/LTD necks. A lot of people say that Schecter necks are akin to baseball bats but I found that the necks weren't that thick, especially the SLS models.

Honestly, most guitar brands these days have at least one model in the mid ranged price bracket with EMG's these days. Schecter and LTD are the ones that instantly come to mind, but a used Jackson Pro Series DKMG, or SLSMG can be found for around $300-500 over here.

I guess the most comparable series between LTD and Schecter would be an MH or H and a C-1. C-1's have thicker bodies and thicker mahogany necks, as opposed to thinner bodies with thin-ish maple necks, so, I'd say on average, if you compare those two, Schecter C-1's are usually darker and fatter than LTD MH and H's.

Pretty similar quality control between Schecter Hellraisers and LTD Deluxes, me thinks.

I had a Schecter C1 which was totally awesome. Recorded this video with it before I sold it. Had a pretty bad experience with an LTD 200 once. Came with a fucked up neck, the high E string would constantly slip off the fretboard when pressed against the frets. Had to return it for refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my ESP LTD EC-407 7-string several months ago and switched to a Schecter 2014 JL-7. Part of the problem was that the LTD cost about $700 and the Schecter cost $1000, so there's some quality difference there, but the Schecter totally blew the LTD out of the water. I'm sure Korean-made LTDs are better, but this year's Schecter models really nailed it as far as I can tell. Even the less-expensive ones are very well-designed and well-made.

I had a Hellraiser C-1 for a while. The finish was so thick and almost like plastic that it barely felt like a guitar. The playability was decent, but both my LTD EX-351 and EC-400 kicked the living out of it sound-wise. Eugh.

My biggest complaint has always been about the finish. I kind of like the wider necks that they do but the finish just kills the feeling on most schecters for me.