Schecter 7 string with Actives or Passives ?

xFkx

gain induction
Mar 3, 2008
Poland
www.myspace.com
Hi !

I'm buying a 7 string finaly, and found two guys who are selling schecters (I'm dead set on a schecter anyway)

One is a Blackjack with SH-4 / 59'

Second one is Hellraiser with 707's

Both are around 500 Eu..

I'm having a hard time to choose, I'm an EMG guy but always wanted a guitar with passives, just don't know if a 7-string works good with passives :erk:

The guitar will be for personal recording only, as my band uses 6-strings.

What say ye ?

I am not sure how well those stock Seymour Duncans go in the older blackjacks, but you could always swap them out for something else like Lundgrens or Dimarzios, or other kinds of Duncans even.

Personally, I'd go with the Hellraiser. The EMGs just work so well in them and they provide a really consistent sound.

I own 2 Schecter 7 strings myself and they both have EMGs (Hellraiser with 81-7 and 60-7 and Loomis with 707s). Aside from this I also have an LTD that has EMGs, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't have anything else in any of them.

If you go with the blackjack, you will for sure end up changing pickups.
I found the JB aggressive enough, but also quite loose at the low end and not that great of definition in sound.And that was a 6string in standard tuning!!!

So, i say get the hellraiser

Well, a 6 string JB isn't the same pickup as a 7 string JB. I have a C7 Blackjack with passives. I did swap the bridge pickup for a Duncan Custom, but it sounds fantastic! I wouldn't trade it for an active Schecter.