Which 7-string should I buy?

I might be too late and I sure am, but I only wanted to say that a guitar/pick-up is chosen directly linked to the kind of metal you play. In your case, its enough to say doom-metal and you realize the chords will be long, no need for extreme palm muting, the sound would have to be dark, full, fat, with very long sustain (this also indicates the wood of the guitar body, absolutely fixed system), more bass freq than the usual, etc. I would also say I hope EMG's 707 will work for you, although to be honest I find JB+mahogany a much better combination for down-tempo melodic metal styles. But maybe it is only the case it worked for me.

From the amps you listed there, the only one which will really work for doom is the Savage. Lately I discovered a good amp for doom-metal, the Marshall ModeFour. It really works for long notes and/or old Anathema like low end sound.

The last time I've checked I was asked 2344 Euros for a Mayones 7 string custom, so no way.

I might be too late and I sure am, but I only wanted to say that a guitar/pick-up is chosen directly linked to the kind of metal you play. In your case, its enough to say doom-metal and you realize the chords will be long, no need for extreme palm muting, the sound would have to be dark, full, fat, with very long sustain (this also indicates the wood of the guitar body, absolutely fixed system), more bass freq than the usual, etc. I would also say I hope EMG's 707 will work for you, although to be honest I find JB+mahogany a much better combination for down-tempo melodic metal styles. But maybe it is only the case it worked for me.

From the amps you listed there, the only one which will really work for doom is the Savage. Lately I discovered a good amp for doom-metal, the Marshall ModeFour. It really works for long notes and/or old Anathema like low end sound.

The last time I've checked I was asked 2344 Euros for a Mayones 7 string custom, so no way.

The savage? really? Maybe it's just me, but I'd never pick an Engl for doom metal. Doom/stoner metal is all about big sloppy, huge, loose bass. Engls are all about being super tight/fast/precise. A dual recto would probably be much better for doom... but then again, I don't like or listen to doom/stoner metal at all, so.... haha

i need the marcus seven string

white and fury
kinda creepy

GROWLS

real nice

Joey, I know this is gonna be difficult to hear, so you might want to brace yourself...but that's not actually me in my avatar pic :lol: (nor does it represent any aspect of me except my warped sense of humor :loco: )

Gothic/Doom Metal doesn't necessarily have a sloppy and dark sound. Take Sentenced for exmapel or Paradise Lost in the Icon/Draconian Times era.

I play slow and melodic metal, but I love a tight and heavy sound.

A good exampel for tight guitars in Doom Metal nowadays is October Tide:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 Ibanez 7's, a Carvin dc727, and a USA BC rich Mockingbird 7....while they all kick ass...my carvin gets picked up the most...the ibby second...there are silly deals to be had on used carvin 7's and japanese made ibanez 7s...i paid 250 for one of my ibbys....I'm not much of a Schecter fan...they look great, use great materials, but i think they just kill it with the thick coats of finish...just mho...
btw....I play doom/dark metal as well, and have similar expectations about guitar tone (tight, clear sound)
My Carvin with Duncan pickups has the tightest, yet most musical tone I have heard in a guitar...