Thinking of changing from EMG's

Jackal_Strain

Sigurd Løberg
Feb 16, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
I've been playing EMG exclusively for close to seventeen years now, and while I still enjoy the sound and feel of EMG's I can't shake the feeling that I want something new. I've switched guitars, amps and everything, but It's always been the same pickups. It's just time to try something else.

I've been thinking of trying Seymor Duncans and the Nazgul and sentient combo seems pretty interesting since I play mostly death/thrash metal.
The guitar I want to switch pups in is a Schecter Hellraiser 7 string. It's equipped with EMG 707's right now.
Is there any reason why switching to passives should be a problem? Will I need to change the pots as well?

i've switched from EMG's to seymour JB and then custom and I couldn't be happier. EMG's have a place and are great if you're playing nothing but metal.

when I'm recording metal sometimes EMG's are just the ticket but sometimes I'll want something passive. the custom has always turned out great, as have the majority of JB guitars I've recorded.

there's plenty of choice out there but I'd recommend one of those.

+1 to everything Machinated said.

I would also add that if your not sure you want to commit fully to going passive with new pots and all that jazz, it might be worth checking out some of the new EMG sets. I want to say they have one that is supposed to be passive ish sounding that seems to be well liked by those that have tried them. 57/66 combo i think they're called.

I've looked at the new EMG's, but they just don't... exite me. The clips I've heard sounds good, but I think I've subconsciously decided that I want something entirely new.

And if I understand you guys correctly I do have to change more than the pickups? The pots have to go as well? Will the passive duncans fit correctly in my guitar?

Is there any reason why switching to passives should be a problem? Will I need to change the pots as well?

Yeah, you need to change the pots. Might have to drill a hole to connect a ground wire to the bridge too, some guitars that come with actives don't have one because EMG's don't need it. I know some Esp's have it just in case the user wants to change to passives, but I don't know about Schecter.

I've always been more of a passives guy - tried EMG's on multiple occasions but just didn't gel with them -, so I'm not sure I can say anything about switching to passives because of my bias. I'm just gonna say that the Lundgren M7 (and M8) has been my favourite pickup for a very long time.

Thanks, for the replies. I'm gonna have to open the guitar up and see for myself, but it's been ages since I've soldered anything. I guess I've been spoiled with the quick connectors on EMG's.

Contrary for me, they sound too clinical and precise and good passives marry more with soloing, complex chords and groovy playing.

Any classic combination of SD could do what you want. Maybe look into the high output or specific SD if you still want a strong death metal basis.

And if I understand you guys correctly I do have to change more than the pickups? The pots have to go as well? Will the passive duncans fit correctly in my guitar?

This is the catch for me. If I were in your shoes I would be down to go with the path of least resistance.

If you want to go passive, its going to require new pots, caps, and pickups right off the bat. Not to mention the hours of googling trying to determine if your going to get on more with 500, 250, or whatever kinds of pots and if you want orange drops or one of the other 10 kinds of Cap thingies.

Im definitely more of a passive fan personally but I think EMG as a company has gone to lengths to make a few new products that really address the "thinking about going passive" crowd. Im also of the school of thought that any high quality EMG or SD is going to be awesome in terms of final product and I think that is evidenced by the response of others on this page and the quality of their work.

If you do decide to go for a complete passive overhaul, I would advise that you pay attention to the magnet choices in the pickups. Most of the classic EMG's are Ceramic as are some of the more recommended SD's (distortion comes to mind). If you really want a different feel out of your pickups than start with something that has a different kind of magnet for the most pronounced difference in feel.

I think the best solution to my issue would be to buy another guitar with passives installed...

But until then, I think I might give the X series from EMG a shot. They're described as crossing the gap between actives and passives. Is there anybody in here who has got dome experience with them? I found the description of the 57 adn 66 kinda vague, so I'm not sure if they are more passive sounding as well compared to "regular" EMG's.
My experience with EMG's is with the 81, 85, 60 and 707's so far.

I think the best solution to my issue would be to buy another guitar with passives installed...

Just do this. Everyone should have a guitar with passives around so it can collect dust. :)

As Jaymz said the 57/66 rules and I agree. I've heard the X series really aren't that good in comparison to the original pickups, but I've never bought a pair myself. Just going from peoples reactions to them/research. I even spoke directly to EMG when I bought my first Metalworks pickups and they even suggested that I just go with the new 57/66 pickups. I have to admit they are the best of active and passive pickups. That was the entire intent of the design.

Out of every pickup I have used in 6 strings, then 7s, The Seymour Duncan blackouts are my favorites. In my mahogany schecters, I swap the bridge and neck pickups around. The neck pickup has a lower output and shifted tone, so it sounds/feels very JB ish to me in the bridge. I have not tried the 57/66 7 string versions, though.

This is what I did, and I'd agree that its by far the best option if you can find a decent used guitar with the pickups you want. In my case, I found a very well-treated used ESP LTD 400 series with a nice set of SD's it it. Still have my original guitar with the EMGs (81/60 in my case), and it's still great for a lot of things, but the guitar with the SD's is great for a lot of other things. IMO, EMGs only do a small number of things well, but they do those things VERY well. The SD's that I have are a much more versatile pickup. If I had to choose only one, I'd probably keep the SD loaded axe. But its totally worth having both around.

I've been playing EMG exclusively for close to seventeen years now, and while I still enjoy the sound and feel of EMG's I can't shake the feeling that I want something new. I've switched guitars, amps and everything, but It's always been the same pickups. It's just time to try something else.

I've been thinking of trying Seymor Duncans and the Nazgul and sentient combo seems pretty interesting since I play mostly death/thrash metal.
The guitar I want to switch pups in is a Schecter Hellraiser 7 string. It's equipped with EMG 707's right now.

Been using EMGs for ages now... +10 years i guess

After trying an 81 vs a sd distortion i‘m going back to passives

The "sterile" cliché is true...

Well there are really many pickups that sound good out there. Personally i still do not have found my favourite, but if you'r into hi-gain check those:

Seymour Duncan Dimebucker: Agressive high-end, and nice balls, a great hi-gain monster. I've got those on 2 of my Dean Razorbacks and like them a lot. On my Razorback Sevenstring i've got the EMG-707, sounds more balanced but still rocks!

Dimarzio D activator: This is a fucking beast as well, it's in my xiphos. Very very precise, yet agressive. It makes the guitar scream, while others sing =)

Symour Duncan parallel axis distortion: made specially for floyd rose systems. This one is a great dude as well. Very balanced, but still enough balls to shred. My current favourite. Built it in my japanese jackson kelly replacing the stock seymour designed pickup. Difference is night and day.

Seymour Duncan Blackouts EMTY also sound very nice in my MTM2, a little bit dirty, imho, but a great metal pickup still.

I'm also using the 81 on my ltd explorer and the sound is very good, but the above mentioned pickups i like better.

On the other hand there is a certain correlation between the pickup and the type of wood. I'd really ask a good guitar tech what he would advise to try with you guitar/guitars.