Ten bands that changed your life and why

sskubisnac

New Metal Member
Apr 9, 2004
Give me 10 bansd (you can state waht period of their career) and why they changed you. No anamosity or criticism, just what it means to you ~ might inspire others to explore!

Here's mine:

Thin Lizzy : Bad Reputation, just makes me shiver ~ reminds me of when I was 14.
Motorhead : On Parole, as above. had a friend at school with an older brother who played all this stuff.
Zeppelin : Physical Graffitti : Was scared to play it when I bought it. Reverential respect.
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Awesome. Timeless. Makes me cry.
Blackfoot: How f**kin heavy were they. And sooo cool.
Metallica:I listened to MOP constantly for 18 months and never tired. Something died after the 'Black' album.
Rose tattoo : Debut album, nuff said.
G'n'R : Sat in my friends car and listened to 'Appetite ..' in silence throughout. Changed the world. Didn't need MTV/videos/ hype. If you knew you bought it first week out and never looked back.
AC/DC: happiness guaranteed at all times.
Nirvana: End of fun, depressing ~ Music should lift and fire you, not be this pointless>

I don't know about changing my *life*, but a few that have had an impact:

Queensryche, Savatage, & Testament - the three major bands to suck me out of cock rock when I was a teenager (I was about to edit that, but go ahead, run with it!)

Dream Theater - heard "Pull Me Under" on the radio in 92, and it was all over. It was probably the fifth time I'd heard the song before I even found out who they were.

Evergrey - saw them at ProgPower 2 and had to go find my socks on the other side of Atlanta.

Pain of Salvation - downloaded a couple songs before they were to play Powermad, found myself playing them all the time, and when I picked up "The Perfect Element", it didn't come out of the CD player literally for WEEKS.

Definitely Savatage from Gutter through Wake. I'd say Zak shaped my vocal style more than any other single singer.

Metallica - Master/AJFA. Those were our two tapes through high school. Queensryche gets an honorable mention

Celldweller/Circle of Dust, Poe - helping me to pick out tricks in production that can be used to enhance a song, not make up for sucking (a la Britney)

Stryper - To Hell with the Devil show in 87 was really cool, regardless of the cheese level looking back at it now. Getting into Stryper opened up the gates to a lot of the really talented Christian metal bands of the time: Barren Cross, Bloodgood, Sacred Warrior, Tourniquet, etc.

Megadeth RIP - back in 90 or 91. Age 12 - 7th Grade. My first intro to metal. Still in my all-time top list. Blew me away. First concert I ever been to - Deth, Pantera, Zombie. Later on - seeing them live on the Cryptic tour inspired me to pick up the guitar.

Then theres (grouped in chronological order of discovery, sort of).......

Prong - Prove You Wrong - my more punk/industrial side
Pantera - VDOP - my intro into "dirtier" metal.

Sepultura - Arise - They were my version of Slayer.
Obituary - The End Complete - my intro to death metal
Morbid Angel - Covenant - my intro to more extreme death metal

Sepultura - Chaos A.D. - kinda helped me find my drumming style

Steve Vai - Passion & Warfare - for a while, I was dumb enough to believe I could learn to play guitar like Vai.

At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul - my intro to euro melodic metal. Swedish, Hindenburg, Gotheruns, whatever the hell metal you want to call it. It rules.

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia - first Black Metal record I ever liked. I don't care if some say it's not BM. This one is in my all time fav's list. Has inspired me to *try* to learn death metal drumming. I suck. It's beginning to have a guitar influence on me too.

Dew-Scented - Impact - a recent discovery, thanks to internet radio and Mr. Blevins. I can only describe it as face-smashing. If I ever learn DM drumming, this is what I'd like to do with it.

Honorable mention
Slammin Watusies - Sk8 Sk8 Sk8 - off of my Vision "Psycho Skate" video - the only punk song i've ever really loved.

David & James Kalal - San Miguel - inspired me to pick up flamenco guitar. Sort of.

Marilyn Manson - because I was a fanboy up til about four years ago. I have to credit him with making me want to find out about Satanism, I probably would still think of it in Dennis Wheatley terms if it weren't for old Maz.

Black Sabbath - I still have fond memories of sitting up till the small hours with all three "Ozzy Osbourne Years" discs in the multichanger, listening to them in random order. No band has ever quite given me the feeling that Sabbath did then.

Sunn 0))) - I was inspired to start Electrovomit by a Sunn 0))) review in Terrorizer. Without them, I may never have even issued a demo in my life. Scary thought. Not that Electrovomit sounds anything like Sunn 0))), but the first song was conceived along the lines of "I wonder if I could do something electronic that would inspire a review like this"? The answer, of course, was "No", but four demos later I have to say I've had fun anyway.

Jimi Hendrix - though he only changed my life by proxy. The guitarist in one of my bands was an Oasis freak, only interested in tired old chordplay, then he checked out Jimi Hendrix and changed overnight. Now he even likes Sabbath and Saxon.

Iron Maiden haven't so much changed my life, as always been part of it. I'm 21 years old, and I've been a Maiden fan for about 17 years.

Ralph McTell - It was when I heard "Streets Of London" that I realised folk music was worth checking out.

Atari Teenage Riot - The first "extreme electronics" band I checked out. Till that point, my conception of electronics started with the Human League and ended with Fatboy Slim.

Vinnie Vincent - Not so much a life changing band as a powerful memory. The song Love Kills was playing the first time I ever got dumped by a girl. You don't forget synchronicity like that.