Testament Practice What You Preach bass drum

-J-

May 7, 2007
so I'm trying to EQ a bass drum and work it into a mix and I pull out Testament's Practice What You Preach album since I recall that bass drum really sticking out, and I realize it almost sounds more trebly to me than bassy, and in the first few songs it almost sounds like a high pitched click or finger snap to me.

So I'm wondering: Has anyone else noticed it seems weird? Are my ears playing tricks on me, or is it really out of whack? If I wanted to get closer to that type of clarity, what EQ range is really boosted on it do you think (I'm thinking I need some of what is there to bring out my bass drum, but not as much). I don't think there's any parts where just the bass drum is playing by itself for me to analyze.

Its just pure click to my ears, not much beef at all. Id say a healthy boost around 8-10kHz, not sure about a typical mid scoop though, perhaps some upper mid boost to give it more body attack. Maybe even take some low end out of it! Depending on how your bass drum/sample originally sounds. Think EZdrummer DFH kick with more treble ;):Smokin:

You know, I love a lot of the songs on that record, I'm just not a fan of how it sounds. I think it's a great example of what a "bad analog recording" sounds like. Next time some idiot gets in your face about recording to digital, throw on Practice what you Preach..... .....Or "Hall of the Mountain King" by Savatage. Great songs, but :puke: sound.

You know, I love a lot of the songs on that record, I'm just not a fan of how it sounds. I think it's a great example of what a "bad analog recording" sounds like. Next time some idiot gets in your face about recording to digital, throw on Practice what you Preach..... .....Or "Hall of the Mountain King" by Savatage. Great songs, but :puke: sound.

haha. yeah, I do love the songs too. shows how good tunes can save some production blunders I guess!

yeah.. there are more shitty sounding albums done in the days when analog was the only option than there were good sounding albums. same is true now with digital though... lol.... that's why the best rise to the top and is so easily recognized, because there's so much shit below it, in any field of endeavor. Sadly, in those days Testament most definitely could have afforded a top-flight recording/mix. but instead the band has had it's best productions well after budgets were slashed (which already happened once for metal in about '93 thanks to Seattle)... just yet another testament (pun intended) to the fact that it's all about the people involved.