Drum editing practice!

Daybreak

Jan 8, 2013
Before anyone says "Use the search brah", I've done so for the last couple of hours, and every thread either lead to nowhere or had lots of dead links.

So yeah, my band is going into the studio after new year to record drums for a song, and I wanna practice drum editing to get the hang of it. So if anyone has some un-edited tracks for some band they recorded laying around, please send it to me. I will not upload it or anything, I will only practice on it. It would be really kind of you!

you can still just programm som random beats in any drum sample library and set it off position randomly my an insane amount, bounce it like you'll record the mics (even with bleed to make it more painfully real)
voila, instant drummer ;)

you can still just programm som random beats in any drum sample library and set it off position randomly my an insane amount, bounce it like you'll record the mics (even with bleed to make it more painfully real)
voila, instant drummer ;)

I did quite a few times, haha. Tried both elastic audio and beat detective! Thins ig, SSD4 can't add bleed, and that is the main reason I want real drums. Unless someone wanna be really nice and bounce me some horribly played Superior Drummer with bleed, that is!

Why would bleed be your main concern? if recorded correctly im guessing a gate would be enough, it's the timing your concerned with right? Mago's idea sounds great to me.

If you have bleed in the tracks longer strechtes become more difficult to pull off...like if say the snare is too early, the next kick is too late. Can get tricky depending on the amount, and with HH bleed in the snare it gets more difficult, imo.

I don't like elastic audio for drums, I use BD in a lot of cases, but at tricky parts like the one above sometimes a bit of strechting (not the transient tho!) can do the trick.

I'll see if I can bounce something for you if I have the time today, should have enough programmed stuff around.
I never thought of that when I started out, but "luckily" I had a few drum tracks to practice with at the beginning.

Just a friendly adviser if you're going to the studio: you'll want to sample the whole kit, also cymbals!
not so much for making drum samples, but to cover up spots where you might need a ringing cymbal or stuff like this...helps sometimes!

Yeah, that's exactly why I want bleed, haha. It's harder, as you say, making me more experienced when it finally comes to the real thing. :) That would be awesome, man, thanks! Don't be afraid to go crazy with the bleed and random quantization. :)

I did quite a few times, haha. Tried both elastic audio and beat detective! Thins ig, SSD4 can't add bleed, and that is the main reason I want real drums. Unless someone wanna be really nice and bounce me some horribly played Superior Drummer with bleed, that is!

you should really really avoid using EA on drums unless for very short gaps

Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone else doing drum edits in PT by hand, similar to the Cubase Slip editing method? What I do is group the drums, and in slip mode, slice at the transient and slide it to where I want on the grid, slice at the next transient, slide, drag/reveal waveform to close gap, etc. till the end of the song. Then batch fade 3 ms crossfade and listen to make sure any "covered" transients dont get revealed in the crossfades. If they do, just move it around a little to find the best spot.

Ive found that unless the drummer is really really bad, I never have to fix more than 2 or 3 fades in a normal 3-5 minute song.

I know that slip mode in PT and slip editing in Cubase are totally different, but with the exception of the fact the in Cubase it moves the audio within the region and in PT it moves the region itself (which to me doesn't matter since ill be editing the next hit anyways...) is it really all that different?

Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone else doing drum edits in PT by hand, similar to the Cubase Slip editing method? What I do is group the drums, and in slip mode, slice at the transient and slide it to where I want on the grid, slice at the next transient, slide, drag/reveal waveform to close gap, etc. till the end of the song. Then batch fade 3 ms crossfade and listen to make sure any "covered" transients dont get revealed in the crossfades. If they do, just move it around a little to find the best spot.

Ive found that unless the drummer is really really bad, I never have to fix more than 2 or 3 fades in a normal 3-5 minute song.

I know that slip mode in PT and slip editing in Cubase are totally different, but with the exception of the fact the in Cubase it moves the audio within the region and in PT it moves the region itself (which to me doesn't matter since ill be editing the next hit anyways...) is it really all that different?

PT has actual slip editing like Cubase

And I do all my drum editing manually the way you mention. At this point, unless something is completely terribly performed and recorded I can usually get about a minute's worth of drums done in 1/2 hour for typical metal, 45 minutes for extreme and / or progressive

Cheers loren!

one thing though, when i'm editing I end up with glitches on some of the edits.....

can anyone tell me why/how to sort it out? i'm bloody clueless 'cause this is my first attempt at slip editing

Cheers loren!

one thing though, when i'm editing I end up with glitches on some of the edits.....

can anyone tell me why/how to sort it out? i'm bloody clueless 'cause this is my first attempt at slip editing

Assuming you have auto-crossfade on, depending on how late/early some hits are, you may need to do some time-stretching.