Testing Mokafix BassRider (Sansamp Bass Driver DI sim)

narcossintese

Nov 4, 2008
Brazil
www.myspace.com
So I was trying to nail a Sansamp BDDI tone using POD Farm with the bass DI eternally_gutted sent me, when I received an email from Mokafix with the final version of his BassRider VST. Suddenly there wasn´t any reason to keep trying to nail it with POD Farm.

Check this out, I used the same DI and the same settings on the real Sansamp BDDI and on the Mokafix BassRider (Level: 100%, Blend: 100%, Drive: 50%, Bass: 50%, Treble: 50%, Presence: 50%).

DI

Sansamp BDDI

Mokafix BassRider

i like bass rider more, don't know why.

it seems more bigger with full lowend

CMIIW

real hardware rounds the transients in SUCH a pleasing way, wherein the plugin keeps them intact TOO much....

doesn't sound like the mokafix is modeling that part of the BDDI too well..

but, it's still close enough for me so I'll probably end up using it. lol.

i like bass rider more, don't know why.

it seems more bigger with full lowend

CMIIW

I did some tests before the final version and my overall feeling was that the real Sansamp has a bit more lowend than the BassRider when using the exact same settings (you can always turn a tad more bass if you want), and that BassRider can go with higher Drive settings without sounding unpleasant (real Sansamp gets nasty after, say, 70% of Drive).

Maybe I could tell the difference between them listening close like on this test, but there´s no way in hell I could spot which one is the real one on a mix.

I will keep A/B'ing them on every mix I do, as I always track the DI and run the real Sansamp through ReAmp, but I believe that, as the results come along, I will use only the plugin in the near future.