Texas death metal band INIQUITOUS, Suffocation's MIKE SMITH on drums

I guarantee, that if I posted this in the rate my mix section, and told everyone that I programed drums to the guitars, NOBODY would be saying, "yeah, I totally dig the groove!!!"

dude go crawl back under your hole, or at the very least stop posting on this thread. You are embarrassing yourself.

Some more killer Texas DM bands for you all to check out:

Insidious Decrepancy- killer one-man band...incredible guitar playing...brutal as fuck
http://www.myspace.com/insidiousdecrepancy

Images of Violence- Same members of Sarcolytic minus the drummer. I played guitar in a grind band with the drummer.
http://www.myspace.com/imagesofviolence

Mammoth Grinder- more of a punky/raunchy groove style DM.
http://www.myspace.com/mammothgrinder

Disfigured and Scattered Remains are pretty good too

I'm fully aware these are not programed drums. They are midi, however, which is what is used for programing virtual instruments, including drums.

I'm just going to say this: As a producer, I'm paid to listen to peoples mixes critically. Maybe I listen to things too critically sometimes and forget to listen to the things I like. You guys have good riffs, good song structure, and tight playing within the members of the band. I'd love for you guys to get some really solid recordings and show me I have underestimated your playing ability. I hope there is no bad blood, and I sincerely wish you guys the best of luck. We definitely need some more bad ass bands coming out of Texas, and you guys could be one of them. If you guys ever have any trouble or need help getting a better recording, just message me on here and I'll do my best to help you guys out.

Ah yes...good buds with Ryan from Scattered. Metal Mike from Disfigured is a really cool dude as well. Played tons of shows with both bands.

I'm currently writing 4 songs for a split cd also. the vocalist for this project is Ryan Stallings of Disfigured. cool dude, powerful vox. Brent Williams of Atrocious Abnormality, out of North Carolina, will be doing the drumming. thats a killer band also.
www.myspace.com/atrociousabnormality

I'm fully aware these are not programed drums. They are midi, however, which is what is used for programing virtual instruments, including drums.

I'm just going to say this: As a producer, I'm paid to listen to peoples mixes critically. Maybe I listen to things too critically sometimes and forget to listen to the things I like. You guys have good riffs, good song structure, and tight playing within the members of the band. I'd love for you guys to get some really solid recordings and show me I have underestimated your playing ability. I hope there is no bad blood, and I sincerely wish you guys the best of luck. We definitely need some more bad ass bands coming out of Texas, and you guys could be one of them. If you guys ever have any trouble or need help getting a better recording, just message me on here and I'll do my best to help you guys out.

No bad blood. this is a forum where people express there thoughts and opinions. sure man, thanks for the offer. if we have any questions, we will ask, thanks

the point is they are not midi, they are real drums. 100% real as in you set up a bunch of mics and hit record kind of real.

Just goes to show that today's generation can't handle music that hasn't been quantised to within an inch of its life and hasn't got the tact.

No, just goes to show that some people really put way too much stock in a name and buy into the hype associated with it. Souls to Deny sounds tight and has groove, but still sounds natural. This just sounded poorly rehearsed and sloppily executed.

the point is they are not midi, they are real drums. 100% real as in you set up a bunch of mics and hit record kind of real.

No, no they were not. They were recorded on a Roland V-Kit - do you really think those cymbals sounded real? Listen to the ride.

I'm listening again on the MySpace since all my previous comments were based on the original recording posted... All points firmly reinforced after hearing it again. Hell, half the time it just sounds poorly triggered? It really is that bad. I'd not even be into that kind of performance live, his fills are terrible.

If this were on a real kit and you got some more dynamics out of everything, then it MIGHT pass, but when you're recording on a V-Kit to begin with and then arguing about the groove and vibe and shit like that on a death metal record? Come on, we're better than that.

I'm listening again on the MySpace since all my previous comments were based on the original recording posted... All points firmly reinforced after hearing it again. Hell, half the time it just sounds poorly triggered? It really is that bad. I'd not even be into that kind of performance live, his fills are terrible.

If this were on a real kit and you got some more dynamics out of everything, then it MIGHT pass, but when you're recording on a V-Kit to begin with and then arguing about the groove and vibe and shit like that on a death metal record? Come on, we're better than that.

Jeff I think you're being way too critical for what these guys are aiming for. I for one as many others have expressed that we don't care too much for over produced, over quantized stuff. if you're into Dream Theater and the like ok, but give me some old school Death, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Morgoth, Obituary, Pyrexia over any of this new stuff. but that's just me.

It's an AE forum filled with articles about editing and quantization.
Something's come along that has challenged their perception of what good and bad audio engineering is and it makes a lot of people uncomfortable, that's all it is.
People either rise to the challenge and expand their horizons and learn to appreciate this brand of production or they remain in their current state.

To be honest, I'm sick of the note perfect productions that any stupid kid does. I'd rather listen to Autopsy than any of that pussy christian metalcore bands you guys listen to.

woah bro, so metal

i wish i was as metal as you man

That was very subtle of you, Ryan.
Maybe if the guy is as metal as you think he is, he'll detect that aroma of irony lingering in the thread. \o/

When people listen to a song, they want an accurate representation of what the material SHOULD sound like. That is what a good recording is. If it were any bands intention to have fills that were misplaced and not in time with the rest of the music, then that is their artistic vision, and that is what the song SHOULD sound like. However, if these guys wanted drums that were off time on purpose, the LAST person they should hire for the job is Mike Fucking Smith. I highly doubt that off-time drums was what they were looking for, and unfortunately for the band, that is what they got.

It has nothing to do with us not challenging ourselves to see the the artistic visionary of instruments being played out of time from one another. If fact, most of us hear/have heard/will hear bands play out of time from one another ALL THE TIME. It has to do with the execution of that material, either live or on a recording. That is one way most of us cut out the bands we don't want to listen too, to the ones that we do.

I'm not saying quantize the shit out of every thing on the planet, I'm just saying make music to the best of your ability, and on someone's end of the chain, that was not done here.

I still think every hit on these tracks is perfectly placed and exquisite.
I have been jamming this shit a lot and for a modern straight up death metal act to interest me enough to keep my attention for longer than a track is a big deal.
You guys got that *something* that is more than the sum of its parts, that special ingredient.

Edit: Are you guys doing physical copies of this? I'd love to have this amongst my CD collection (ALSO LOSSLESS!!!)