TGCD drumming

Yep, Jonas and Daniel have found a way to set a special drumming technique on every album, making the mood special.
But I think Dan Swänö isn't the one who received drumming talent at his birthtime :D Even though he's good at pretty much everything he does I wouldn't include drums in it...

i think that daniel does a good work... every song have it kind of groove or mood... the only objection that i´ve got is that the sound of the drums is slightly to compressed... however, daniel, you´re heavy, grooooovy, technical and harmonic when needed... keep up the good work!

Divatkreació said:
But I think Dan Swänö isn't the one who received drumming talent at his birthtime :D Even though he's good at pretty much everything he does I wouldn't include drums in it...

I think his drumming is amazing on Edge of Sanity's Crimson II, and Tonight's Decision is very good as well. Nightingale, Moontower and Diabolical Masquerade are average - works but isn't exceptional. His drumming on Resurrection Through Carnage does really suck, though, I'll give you that :p

But I don't like anything about RTC really.

Daniel's drumming is great and we can see that he's evolved his playing.I think Jonas' simple drumming was good too but if you're doing an album like TGCD you must have someone that plays like Daniel.But i must admit that i like the drumming in Tonight's Decision most.Dan Swanö has a very interesting style and the sound that was used for the drums were more effective then...

I've listened to many drummers and i find Daniels' style pretty unique. His touch is hard/tough and soft/technical in the same time. Very open-minded performances as well, makes you believe that he could easily perform a Dream Theater album. IMO, it's his drumming style that influenced Katatonia to add some progressive stuff in their music. The only thing that i sometimes dislike in his drumming is that he always wants his rhythms to be complicated (off-beat rhytms, china and splash cymbals everywhere). Most times this sounds pretty-damn inspiring and professional, but I think some parts of Katatonia songs (clean parts, especially) would sound better if the rhythm was simplier. But this is just my opinion. Keep up the good work Daniel!

I think that Daniel's drumming fits on the newer style of Katatonia, for the albums that he did drums on (Last Fair Deal to present)... the music is very agressive, fast, and changes quickly, and Daniel adapts very well to the changes in the music. Jonas' drumming on Discouraged Ones, however, also fits extremely well; the overall tone of the album, in my opinion, is much more depressing than the later stuff, and the music was much more simplistic on that album than some of the quite extreme stuff on the newer material. Jonas' drumming on DO really does fit the tone of the album: slow, dank, and depressing. All of Katatonia's drumming has a place in their catalogue.

Hey Daniel,
I have a few questions to the drumming on TGCD.
I like your playing alot but I also think the drum sound is incredible. I noticed that Peter Damin was your Drumtech. He was also Drumtech on two Nightingale albums.
So I'd like to know what he excactly did. Did he tune the drums and choose the skins? Was it your own drumkit? Was he involved in miking the kit?
Is it a difference to play on such a well tuned kit?

Yeah, The drum sound on this album definitely carries a nice punch. There are many ways to get this sound... The accoustics of the rrom are obviously important, but also the tuning makes a big difference. it would be interesting to see how the tuning of the drums were done in order to achieve the thick sound on the toms and the strong snare sound. I especially like the accent works done on the snare. For example on the the verse of the song "A Journy through Pressure" (Daniel hits the rim and the surface of the snare at the same time(with one stick!) to get that special song).... anyways, the drumming on TGCD is probably the best they have had so far... I also love the sound of the bass.

well, peter helped me/us a great deal...he´d basicly come in the morning and tune the drums and sometimes change the heads and sometimes the snare, depending on what the track we would record sounded like. saved us a lot of time...

Unicorn said:
Hey Daniel,
I have a few questions to the drumming on TGCD.
I like your playing alot but I also think the drum sound is incredible. I noticed that Peter Damin was your Drumtech. He was also Drumtech on two Nightingale albums.
So I'd like to know what he excactly did. Did he tune the drums and choose the skins? Was it your own drumkit? Was he involved in miking the kit?
Is it a difference to play on such a well tuned kit?

Daniel L. said:
well, peter helped me/us a great deal...he´d basicly come in the morning and tune the drums and sometimes change the heads and sometimes the snare, depending on what the track we would record sounded like. saved us a lot of time...

Thanks for answering, Daniel.
But the overall production of the new album is amazing. Jens Bogren rules, I also liked the Bloodbath production a lot. He get's perfect bass sounds which is not easy.

I'm glad someone started this thread. In my opinion, the drums make this cd. I never noticed how good of a drummer this guy is. Great fills and a different approach to the drums on this cd. HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY!!!!!!!!

Well, it all goes hand in hand with the rest of the music, I mean, overal the songs are more complex now. That's why this type of drumming fits the music on TGCD so well (For example if drumming was done like this on "Discouraged Ones" it could've completely ruined the atmosphere of that album)

I would have to agree, the one thing about Tonight's Decision that I thought could have been much better was the drumming...it was okay, don't get me wrong, just felt like a more versatile drummer could have added so much more to an album like that...re-record it with Daniel..")

the drumming is great, of course, because Daniel is very good in his job, but I think that the TGCD sound is too much drum-centered. It gets far more attention than on the other records, and, for me and for my taste, it was a lot better in the 2 previous album. When the drumming gets too much recognition then it means that it has too much space.
This can be good in a live situation, but on record I greatly prefer a more minimalist kind of drum sound

Keltoi said:
I would have to agree, the one thing about Tonight's Decision that I thought could have been much better was the drumming...it was okay, don't get me wrong, just felt like a more versatile drummer could have added so much more to an album like that...re-record it with Daniel..")
WTF the drumming in TD is fuckin great.It may be seen as simple but it's not and it gives the feeling so right with less attention on drums...