TGCD is in a word FUCKING BRILLIANT!

strangedays

Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
Someones got to say it, and now its released officially ;) and I have placed an order, dying to renmoving the male voiceover, I can only say that the new album is fucking brilliant..

I noticed in another thread a bit of bashing over the reviews, and I feel sorry about this and personally i know anders reads these forums, from one guitarest to another i really appreciate everything you've done as a band, this album is no exception, I don't feel I can rate it better or worse than other works you've done, it just stands ands the latest best produced offering of a fantastic sound, I can't wait to see you live, I can't wait to get the official copy of the album, the songs on the My Twin EP were great and continue to sound fantastic. I'll do a personal review later!!

PS.. about those crappy magazines one thing sticks in my memory, and that was when Guns and Roses lead singer insulted loads of top magazines on stage for their reviews, now they are hardly a band that went unnoticed, just a shame they lost their direction...

I had a listen at work today (I work in a record store) and after one listen it sounds brilliant and I can almost guarantee its gonna get better with each subsequent listen, just like VE did.

Of the copies we got in my store here in Sydney they were all standard editions but had a peaceville sticker on the fron claiming it was the special edition. False advertising there folks.... :rolleyes:

strangedays said:
.TGCD is in a word FUCKING BRILLIANT!

two words, but i'll allow it :p

was reading the new (i think its the new) terrorizer at the local library (by which i mean WH Smith's) and saw lots of positive press including the back cover with the album front on it with some quote saying 'is it too early to say album of the year'. anyway, its not too early. i wonder what the live set will be like...

bought TGCD today. after few listens i must say it's great indeed!!!
not as brilliant as VE though, but still far better than LFDGD for example and a sure candidate for album of the year.

fav. track so far: My Twin, Soil's Song, Deliberation, July, In The White

Well...I must say something...it is a great album, I would give it 8.5/10, but I think Viva Emptiness is slightly better...And other albums too...TGCD is very, very near, but ther is no such great songs like 'Omerta','Evidence',Inside city of glass', 'A premonition', 'Criminals',Sleeper'....Yes, you know what I mean..they are ALL great, and TGCD has some less briliant songs if I can say that way, for example: The itch,Consternation...and there is no such good lyrics like on viva emptiness....Maybe it sounds more negative than I wanted to be, but conclusion is: TGCD is great, dark METAL album, but not as great like previous Katatonia released(Yes, production is best )..I know it is my personal opinion, and maybe those 2 songs I mentioned like 'worsed' somebody will consider best, but that's the way it all goes..and I would like to mentioned MY persinal favorites: 'Deliberation', 'July','My twin','Increase','Rusted' and 'Journey through pressure...brilliant song;)
CHEERS

Great Cd, not better than Viva for me, but i dont thinks thats the point, even though viva its my favourite album, this album have its own power, and hell if is good, one of its best, may be my second favourite for now, i dont what to expect tomorrow.

i'm pissed cause it didnt come today. i d/l 4 of them off itunes to get ready and BOOM. dont have it. but i did get something in the mail and i knew it was from katatonia. what was it?! a shirt! BOOM still dont have it. but know i figure i can have a katatonia day tommarow and wear my new TGCD shirt and hopefully it'll come. if fact i wont take it off till the CD gets here. so if the forum starts to smell thats why.

p.s. if it doesnt come tommarow i will destroy the world.
and all that will be left
is a great cold distance

aka space

For my taste I think it's better than VE specially on the vocals and the vocal lines...the guitars, the drumming hahaha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it seems that for me to listen to a new katatonia cd for a few weeks makes it better......not this one...it hit me right away......although I still just have the promo a very good man sent me who did a review of it......but its the shit.....TGCG blows viva away for me......not discounting the greatness of viva either.....I love that CD too....

Totally agree with the thread's title. I managed to get it from abroad just last night, listened to it only twice and then had to go to work:erk: To be honest, I also didn't think the new album would be better than "Viva Emptiness", but it's just unbelievebly amazing!!!:worship: Can't wait for the evening to hear it again!

I pre-ordered the special edition and received it last Saturday, I think the sound is very good, I really like the full bass-sound!! Every song has something that keeps me focused.
Just an excellent album! :)

Fav songs: Soil's Song & Consternation

Unlike most, it seems, i didn't really like TGCD that much at the first two listens (apart from My twin) Mostly i thought the vocalmelodies weren't very good. They seemed a little... whatever. And thats pretty extreme considering Jonas Renkse is not only my favourite vocalist, but also my favourite ..um.. vocalmelodymaker.

But it got a little better, yada, yada its now just as extremely great as i hoped it would be.

Its among my three favourite albums ever, actually. Viva is still number one, and i don't know if LFDGD or TGCD is in second place. But whatever, really.

Stylewise i think it basically sounds like a natural next step from Viva only a little less varied (not a bad thing in this case) and also has a little of the same depressing feeling as Discouraged ones (not a bad thing either)

Best tracks: Leaders, Deliberation, Soils song, My twin, Rusted and Follover.
The rest are bad ass too...

daimonion said:
Stylewise i think it basically sounds like a natural next step from Viva only a little less varied (not a bad thing in this case) and also has a little of the same depressing feeling as Discouraged ones (not a bad thing either)
I think it sounds much more complex than VE. It may seem a bit odd (or maybe it's just because I'm a dumbass), but on the first listen it felt like I was staring at a page full of math formulas, and with each listen the whole sound becomes more clear. VE seemed much more black and white.