Thank guys like this for the No Digital Camera Rule

To me, this is a very weird issue. To start off with, I personally have little interest in watching professionally-recorded live videos, much less crappy cellphone or digital camera videos. So perhaps I'm coming at it from a different perspective than some people. I also have no interest in taking videos or even still photographs at a concert, as I would much rather enjoy the show while I'm actually there than divert my attention to taking pictures or video that I will never look at again anyway.

But I still can't begin to figure out why some bands care whether these types of things surface. I can't imagine how this sort of thing could hurt the band, either financially or in terms of reputation, which are the two most common reasons I've heard for bands being against this.

Then, it becomes Glenn's problem, as he needs to keep the bands happy, so bands will continue to want to play his fest.

Beyond that, I don't know who took that video, or what his intentions were. Maybe it was a newbie who doesn't frequent this forum and was not aware of the rules. Maybe it was someone who was just a total asshole and did it regardless of being asked not to. The person who filmed and / or posted that video might even be reading this very post.

Either way, the strange thing is, given the angle of the video relative to the stage, I would have been standing only several feet behind that person at the time he / she was filming, and could not possibly have missed them holding up the camera. Of course, I would have had no idea whether they were filming, taking a still, or what, and my natural instinct is not to go around trying to turn people in, so I didn't do anything about it (I believe I would have known the following year though, given the ensuing discussions on this board).

But that just goes to show how it's basically impossible to police this kind of thing. So ultimately, the camera policy was tightened to the extent it is today. I imagine this is not something Glenn would have wanted to do of his own accord, but given the pressure of bands not wanting to be filmed, and the ever-increasing capabilities of tiny digital devices, this seems like the only feasible option at this point.

Of course, it's a lot easier for me to say this than it is for some people, as I have absolutely no interest in taking pictures at all, and don't even own a camera. Actually, I liked that one year where people who wanted to bring in digital cameras had to stand in that special line and get their cameras checked out by an expert. Not only because it shows the extreme measures Glenn is willing to attempt to keep both bands and fans satisfied, but because it meant more people were waiting in the slow, camera line, so there were less people in the non-camera line! :)

If you look at the youtube link and then go to the website, it says it's the Official US Website for Vanden Plas.

Assuming that this is true, i don't see the problem here. It hasn't been updated in quite a while but the posting of the live videos seems to have been to drum up interest here in the US and sell tickets to last year's ProgPower.

I was not going to comment and I don't plan on commenting further. First thanks to Riceloft for pointing that out. He is indeed correct that those are prime examples of why I don't allow digital cameras. Second, Kaosaur is correct in that the individual runs VPlas's official U.S. website and is associated with the band. I always allow bands to film themselves using whatever camera and also allow them to do whatever with the footage provided they simply ask. This would not have been a problem had someone ask me. I was not asked about this footage nor did I know it was even shot.

Excellent. :kickass: There is nothing worse than when enjoying a show, someone sticks their camera in front of your line of sight to take video/pictures.

I don't care about movies and/or pictures of the band playing on stage. I know some quality ones will come after it, but I like to take pics of my friends and I enjoying the show, or pictures of me and some members of a band when signing so the rule affects me, and yes I know I can go with a film camera but it's not the same, you don't have the capability to see if the pic came out good and otherwise deleted on site.
One more thing, what about digital reflex cameras?, they can't take movies.