Thanks and curiosity about the band symbol

vszenith

New Metal Member
Jun 11, 2008
Fistly, I want to thank you Borknagar for writing and composing such illuminating music because your Epic album inspired me and got me really interested in science so as I immediately started to pay profound attention to math, chemistry, physics and biology classes, read scientific magazine, literature etc and now I intend to become a scientist.

Out of curiosity: Is that symbol displayed in the flashload for Borknagar official site Ouroboros?

Cheers. :)

:) I appreciate your support. Although I'm not a metal fan or headbanger in the common sense - actually metal is barely seen tuning in my player, exception made for Borknagar... it's funny I found out this tight band accidentally when I was searching for something on google - my fave genres of music are drum'n'bass, jazz (ranging from Norah Jones to China Boy), 70's & 80's rock, j-rock, indie rock, Bob Dylan (lol he himself is a particular genre) and a bit of classical whatsoever.

I don't think it's Ouroboros as that's a snake whereas the Bork logo are dragons I think.

Technically, an Ouroboros is either a snake or a dragon. But, the dragon logo for the band isn't an Ouroboros, it's just two dragons in a circle.

Also, welcome to the forum, and welcome to Borknagar! It's a great band. If you love the science and math of the lyrics, definitely check out Vintersorg, which is the lead singer's solo project. It's all about math, science, the cosmos, SPACE!, etc. Sometimes sung in English, sometimes in Swedish. All of it extremely thought provoking. I love it when math/science nerds make music. Especially extreme metal :)

Fistly, I want to thank you Borknagar for writing and composing such illuminating music because your Epic album inspired me and got me really interested in science so as I immediately started to pay profound attention to math, chemistry, physics and biology classes, read scientific magazine, literature etc and now I intend to become a scientist.

I've heard one of their songs, but haven't read their lyrics. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on?

Depends on the song - it could be about anything from Thor to plankton.

He pretty much just summed it up there. They're very good lyrics. Thought provoking indeed.

For example, most of the songs from The Olden Domain were about winter, and a little bit of Nordic myths, Empiricism and Epic had lyrics more along the lines of math, science and the Cosmos.

No, I mean, why did the guy suddenly get interested in math, science etc.? What are their lyrics about?

To sum it up, Vintersorg is their new lead singer; he's been with them for a few albums now. He contributes to both the songwriting, and the lyric writing.

He is also one of the biggest math and science geeks you will ever come across. In fact, he's in school studying to me a math teacher. In one of his solo albums, he credits Carl Sagan. He's written black metal songs about Marie Curie.

Consequently, a lot of the newer material, especially that written by Vintersorg, is going to have math and science themes. He especially loves SPACE! and the cosmos. So, while the lyrics are literally all over the place, some of the newer ones are space/science/math based. That may be what he heard.

And yes - this includes plankton. Borknagar has a black metal song about plankton.

Consequently, a lot of the newer material, especially that written by Vintersorg, is going to have math and science themes. He especially loves SPACE! and the cosmos. So, while the lyrics are literally all over the place, some of the newer ones are space/science/math based. That may be what he heard.

Why I particularly like Epic and Empiricism. Science, especially astronomy has always been one of my big interests. Personally, I like the direction Bork is heading. It's different than what most of these other black metal groups are doing. Almost avant-garde I suppose.