THAT band in your collection

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
What is that band that you listen to where you are such a rabid fan, you must own all the singles, all the different editions and re-releases?

Three bands for me would be Edguy, Iron Maiden and Helloween. They're really the only bands I have singles and whatnot for. I never got em all in the case of Maiden and Helloween, I still remember salivating over that "First Ten Years" box set, but thankfully reissues have covered that. Between the actual singles with the b-sides to the 95 Castle 2 disc re-releases I think I've got most if not all the b-sides. Same with Helloween. For newbies into them, man, they've got it made with those new re-releases. Some of that shit is packed on there, I remember how much ebay hoopla I went through to get some of those singles and then Time Of The Oath has a second disc of em all. Even the songs from the friggin "Death Metal" LP is on the Jericho album.

Edit: expanding what I have:

Third Eye Blind: Every album on CD. All different covers. Every bootleg and unreleased track. Every shirt worth getting, HDTV broadcast (not released yet), Promo poster from 10th anniversary show, tickets from both nights and several picks (I was front row.)

Yes: Every album on CD, including the live ones. Relayer, Close To The Edge, Tormato, Big Generator, Union, Tales From Topographic Oceans, 90125 on vinyl.

Rush: Every album on CD, including the live ones. Presto, Moving Pictures, 2112, Fly By Night, Hemispheres, Grace Under Pressure, Caress Of Steel, All The World's A Stage on vinyl.

Marillion: Every album on CD, including the live ones. Seasons End, Clutching At Straws on vinyl.

Zero Hour: Every album on CD, Towers shirt, Bat shirt, tickets from shows.

Paatos: Every album on CD, every album except Kallocain (soon to be fixed) on vinyl.

Nightingale: Every album on CD, all of the bootlegs and rarities.

Opeth for me...I have multiple versions of all of the albums, including LPs (framed and mounted on the wall) of all but Blackwater Park. It's an addiction, really...

He isnt lying.... you should see his couch that he reupholstered using various fabrics to make it look like the cover of Damnation.

The artist for me that most closely fits the question of the thread is Pantera. I own all of the studio albums on cd, all 4 pre 'CFH' on vinyl, and am close to owning all Anselmo-era discs on vinyl as well.

Good thread. For me:

Testament, D.A.D., Harem Scarem, Helloween, Dream Theater, John Mellencamp, TNT, Sonata Arctica, PC69, Gotthard, & all Tony Harnell stuff.

Dream Theater is that band for me. I do have the entire discographies of other bands, but I've gone so far as to buy singles, reissues, alternate versions of albums, and bootlegs (official and unofficial) of the band. I'd say I'm a fanboy, but I know there are worse Dream Theater fans out there.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

No band. To me it's a waste of money, no matter how much I like a band, to own every single thing they've ever released, even the stuff that I already have in some other form. The closest for me is Savatage... I've tried to collect every original recording they've released over the years (including bonus tracks and such), but I hesitate to buy anything that's re-released unless there's something new about it. I also don't care about collecting bootlegs... I rarely ever listen to live material, and I've seen the band live several times, so it doesn't make sense for me to have tons of boots around.

I'm about boots if it has rare stuff. Like Helloween on the Master Of The Rings tour with Andi singing Mankind from Pink Bubbles. That's one of my favorite underrated songs from them and I don't think they've played it since that tour. The fact that March Of Time is in their set now, that is one song I honestly thought I would never see live. So if for some godforsaken reason I don't see them on this tour, I'll try and get a boot from this run.

Ok, round two of the question:

If you do get the b-sides you're looking for on various re-issues, do you still actively pursue the singles or just leave it as is? If I saw say all those old Helloween singles for cheap, like five bucks a pop somewhere than yeah, I'll snag em. But I'm not gonna scour ebay like I used to back in the day for em.

Hubi Meisel is the shit. I'm assuming you have that Cut EP? He made me like Drive again.

Nightwish: All CD's, some special editions, a flag, a book and a single
Epica: All CD's

Dream Theater: missing 2 CD's at the moment, the first one and six degrees of inner turbulence (which i might go and buy next week or so)
Kamelot: all CD's since Karma, and trying to complete the collection
Therion: most of the CD's, and trying to complete that. Wearing a Therion girlie at the moment, too.
Apocalyptica: all CD's except Reflections, which is on top of my to-buy-list.

Hmm. Mine would be Dream Theater, King's X, Helloween and Joe Satriani. I have everything ever recorded by these bands as well as some bootleg stuff. Oh and I forgot about Stryper. I have full discographies of several other bands, but I don't go after bootlegs and singles of them.

It used to be Dir en grey.

That's since been replaced by Freak Kitchen, Steven Wilson and Meshuggah.

King Crimson, In Flames and Bauhaus are also high on the list. By the way, these include all side projects and things the various artists have been involved in.