That low volume goodness...

reg3n

Señor Miembro
Feb 17, 2009
Argentina
reg3n.bandcamp.com
Hey, first of all, this is a mixing question, about frequencies mostly, SO, i have this mix going on, i've come to get a decent tone out of an even mix of my do's and don't's, kind'a like exploring, it sounds preety well to me, but it's damn short so it's not worth posting an example, QUESTION IS: i like what i hear, but there's this very low volume setting in my UX2 (just turning the knob down) where i feel i hear a much wider spectrum and i really like a lot what i hear, but that dissapears soon as i turn the volume up.

Am i making any sense? is this just like a hearing phenomena? when i say turning the volume up that's just like a bit, not going crazy piercing or nothing close... Well i thought it might be that thing i said, or maybe there's a bunch of freq's i hear best at that volume and i should pull those up too...

Fin.

PS: it's a metal mix. Thanks.

I would say it's because when you turn it up, you hear more detail and frequencys which clutters up the mix resulting in it sounding more mono and muddy. I don't know for sure but that's just my 2 cents

mmm maybe not, or maybe it is i dunno, what i'm trying to say is i get this weird feeling when i use the volume so low (and not just because of hearing stress) that i wanna pull the knob up but not losing all the spectrum i hear, which happens a second later, when i do.

I'm not sure if I got, but if you're talking about listening to any material at low db and then making it louder and listening to the frequency balance change, it is normal, it is inherent to our ears, that's the Fletch-Munson curve.

cheers

Also, when you turn your speakers up, you are involving the room/listening environment more, which can exacerbate whatever negative effects your room is having on your monitoring.

I'm not sure if I got, but if you're talking about listening to any material at low db and then making it louder and listening to the frequency balance change, it is normal, it is inherent to our ears, that's the Fletch-Munson curve.

cheers

Awesome man, i wasn't getting the point from the link you posted, good to know it's got a name but, that leads to the ultimate thread question, if i go lower, if i like the freq balance more when it's lower does that mean there's something i could do to the entire mix or ... that i should just use that volume myself for mixing?

BLUElightCory, awesome, currently i'm just on headphones, so that won't be a problem i guess.

roflsaurusrex: makes sense! i was afraid it was like some sort of deffect on my headphones ;_______; oh, the shame.

if i go lower, if i like the freq balance more when it's lower does that mean there's something i could do to the entire mix or ... that i should just use that volume myself for mixing?
If you get things sounding right around 82-88 dB SPL (where the ear hears things in a more linear fashion) chances are you'll be good at most other levels. Using headphones though..all bets are off..