that TLA snare smack

just about all my favourite pop punk mixes are done by TLA. theres a drum sound he consistently gets out of bands where the snare really pops well.its kind of roomy but up front. sounds like its getting spanked a lot, but it still retains a good amount of attack and doesn't sound small.

the toms have a similar effect, really upfront.

it sounds like its the way he's using compression, but i can't really think of any other big name mixers who can get anywhere near the same effect to work.

have read that he favours neve compressors on drums, pretty sure he was rocking a dre-2000 reverb like CLA.

check out enema of the state by blink 182, all killer no filler by sum 41 or catalyst by new found glory for examples.

i cant get over these drums (。♥‿♥。)

Last edited by a moderator:
have read this before, but this is one of the places i picked up on the neve compressor thing:

""When it comes to drums, normally I start with a 2264X on the snare. With drums the attack time settings are of course very important, and the Neves don't have variable attack; but I just like the way they sound. If for some reason the Neve doesn't work out, I'm not afraid to try out my arsenal of compressors. I'll try a Distressor, Dbx 160X or patch in my Summit. If I want to mess with the transient of the drum sound, the Distressor is good; I can either smack the sound hard to sharpen the transient, or set it differently to smooth out the transient a bit."

from this SOS article: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr00/articles/tomlord.htm

i think they sell those 2264's for 500 series now...

i never really like them a whole lot because the layout looks complicated.

by the way...i think andrew shoeps said that he uses that on the mix buss too!

The AML is a 2254 not a 2264.
About sample: TLA don't often use sample...

Edit: for drum verb Sony DRE all day

regarding the sony dre-2000 - not only are these rare, prone to break with hard to find replacement parts and expensive since the LA's started mentioning them - what are they similar to? I've read making impulses of them is hard and thats why there aren't many floating about?

anyone here used one?

I still think the characteristic I'm after is in the compression.

You can't find same hardware verb because what people don't realize is that each box sound one way because of AD converter.
Most verb doesn't sound the same feed analog vs digital.

I never used a DRE 2000 (Eddy have one btw so he can speak about), but this unit was mostly used as Tom verb and nothing else.
It was first Sony entry on reverb.
Than Sony made the 201, follow by Ibanez SDR1000, and SDR1000+, and R7 serie... for ending with the DSPV-77.

But don't expect get a DRE 2000 sound with a DSPV-77:D

But as said before for snare chain: 2264>ssl 4K>Tom hear=TLA snare sound

Why not;)

Off topic: what I would want to see is you on facebook for speaking together about gear and technic (since no one really care about those here)...

Never checked his mixes out at the studio. But i listened now on the YT clips someone posted. Sounds really good, like it more then CLA. The snare sounds more like a real snare, but with allot of nice ring and smack.

I like!!!

You probably will love the snare on it Christian;)

Classic TLA mix:worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikaël-ange;10362221 said:
Why not;)

Off topic: what I would want to see is you on facebook for speaking together about gear and technic (since no one really care about those here)...

yeah, that would be really cool eddy

Ok I'll arrange for it. Have to think of a song I can show with it.

@Mikael-ange: I'm not a big Facebook user, never spent time to know how it really works, tried 2 times and had problems because my accounts were converted in the beginning and something went wrong on the conversion because things weren't working as they were supposed to.

After that I had a singer of a band I recorded set up my Facebook account better and set up Rootmusic player (it was always giving a error). And recently Al from The Haarp Machine helped me on it too, updating the page with pictures and layout.
So as you see I'm not a big Facebook user :lol:
I'll send you a pm with my email, it's easier for communication. :)