THD Hotplate

-Gavin-

Gavornator
Jul 21, 2003
Oulu, Finland
So, recording with Impulses...

Since tube amps sound "better" when cranked, is a hot plate a good idea so you can fire it up and send the cranked tone to the soundcard input while also acting as a dummy load.

Question is, does it make that much of a difference when recording with impulses and a tube head or not?

Cheers!

I am using a THD Hotplate because the Poweramp is really necessary for a good sound.

When I compared many amps (Engl Blackmore, SE, JMP, ...), the pure preamp signal (fx send) was thiner, more fuzzy and missed the typical chunk in comparison to the full signal with poweramp included.

So I really recommend including the poweramp while using IRs.

When I compared many amps (Engl Blackmore, SE, JMP, ...), the pure preamp signal (fx send) was thiner, more fuzzy and missed the typical chunk in comparison to the full signal with poweramp included.

That's why it is called FX loop ;) it's not really meant for impulse usage (though it can be used). The signal that goes there is meant for the cabinet, not recording. However, when you apply an impulse to that sound, it will get closer to a real sound, since guitar cab impulses do exactly that - they act like a speaker simulation.

So yes, for best results with impulses, you should use a load box like the Hot Plate, as it includes the power amp section of the amp. Impulses cannot simulate that, because an impulse is just a small timeframe, while the power amp section changes constantly according to your playing.