The 90's thread

Still strange to me how all these great Death Metal bands came almost out of nowhere with this
sick ass riffing styles - Suffocation, Broken Hope, Avulsed, Cannibal Corpse, Disgorge, Gorguts,
Deranged, Monstrosity and so many more (excluding bands like Cynic was on purpose ;) it's too
different for this list).

The 90's..... the decade I was born (93 for those of you who for some reason might be interested :p)

excuse me while I simultaneously reminisce and get annoyed because I was too young to understand the sheer amount of incredible music that was around me, and that i'd never get to see live.

and then there's this.....

Random side note, the late 90's seem to be my favourite time for sneap mixes, eg The more things change and The gathering. There's just something about them, they sound like the perfect balance between and old school recording and newer edited to fuck stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit of a late 90's album, but Feeling Strangely Fine by Semisonic is one of the best albums from that era IMO. The songs are really well written and the production is perfect.

This is the song that got stuck in my head as soon as I thought of this album

I was 5 to 15 in that decade. And as bryan_kilco mentioned, I used to wake up every morning and default to MTV. That was back when they actually played music videos. I still love me some Wallflowers.

IMO the 90's are all about Gothenburg melodeath.

Those three bands are to me what the holy trinity must be to Christians.

I agree with so much in this thread. To me nothing in the past decade even comes close. I really do miss the pre-internet days of good music.

Some of my favorites were already touched on, But here's a few more good old songs. I could go on forever with this.

[youtube]f_zUweqyDZ4&feature=related[/youtube]

Anyone know of Candira? They were a local band and we used to go to cb's all the time to see them, Crisis, and disassociate. Awesome times, awesome shows.

And Brutal Truth!!! awesome

Actually come to think of it, most of the best metal albums of all time were released in this decade, weren't they?

Fredrik Thordendal's 'Sol Niger Within'
Opeth's 'Still Life'
In Flames' 'The Jester Race' and 'Whoracle'
At the Gates' 'Slaughter of the Soul'
Meshuggah's 'Destroy Erase Improve' and 'Chaosphere'
Sepultura's 'Arise'

Winn.

Actually come to think of it, most of the best metal albums of all time were released in this decade, weren't they?

Opeth's 'Still Life'
Sepultura's 'Arise'

Winn.

and every pantera album except reinventing the steel >:)

I've always been more of an 80s nostalgia guy. Most of the great early 90s releases were a continuation of 80s trends that had their twilight and then died off.

Anyone know of Candira? They were a local band and we used to go to cb's all the time to see them, Crisis, and disassociate. Awesome times, awesome shows.

Dude... I fuckin LOVED Candiria. I must've seen them 5-6 times and I lived in Salt Lake growing up. I remember they played a show with V.O.D. and I think Buried Alive. So Good.

Tons of good 90's bands. Did you ever see Section 8? Another 90's hardcore band from New York, unlike anything else I've ever heard. I can't believe no one's mentioned Alice In Chains...

Opeth's 'Still Life'
Sepultura's 'Arise'

Winn.

Amen to that. Most of my favorite records of all times 90's records. Just some serious classix that don't seem to be able to happen anymore.

Dude... I fuckin LOVED Candiria. I must've seen them 5-6 times and I lived in Salt Lake growing up. I remember they played a show with V.O.D. and I think Buried Alive. So Good.

Tons of good 90's bands. Did you ever see Section 8? Another 90's hardcore band from New York, unlike anything else I've ever heard. I can't believe no one's mentioned Alice In Chains...

Yeah man! Candiria in their prime was just a phenomenal band. They like a lot of Brooklyn bands never got their due. Bad deals etc. They should've been mainstream by 2000 but sadly never crossed over. I wish they did they worked hard as fuck.

That show with Candiria and VOD must have been insane. I saw them minus Buried Alive in NY probably around the same time. I never saw Buried Alive but I love that band. I heard of Section 8 but never saw them. I must check them out.

Big +1 on Alice in Chains too. Seriously a big influence on me. :headbang:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaqjlDjRmdI&feature=related[/ame]

Something about the sounds from about 1991 to 1995 that sound great. As Ermz said earlier, production values got better and better. For me, some really great (and still considered classic) digital synths came out with new and exciting sounds, but still being recorded on tape! Yum yum!

Of course, being that they were my formative years, I would naturally feel nostalgic about this era.. But some good stuff came out in the 80s and even more so in the 70s!